Soldato
Hi all,

I've been dabbling in development for a number of years, I'm self-taught and have no idea how good (or bad) I really am. I was a professional full stack developer for 2 years with a company but when covid kicked in it really knocked the business and I was made redundant.

I've decided in my free time to focus on newer stacks (previously HTML, CSS, JS, C#, T-SQL) and think MERN looks good. I've been picking it all up recently and love it so far although plenty of confusion to go with it.

So, I thought in order to hone my skills and give back to the world a little I'd pick up an open source project to contribute to that focuses on solving an issue with people, animals or the environment, at least that way it's a worthwhile cause and something that has real meaning behind it.

Are any of you doing any open source projects or have any advice how to get skilled up and contribute to open source? Or maybe a good project to get involved with?

Last edited:
Soldato
What I would do is pick something that is going to be useful to me in my career, that is reasonably established, where I can make small contributions to start with.

As a project that benefits mankind and is large and established, then there is bitcoin, although this is C++.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

The whole cryptocurrency space is very interesting and has lots of cutting-edge Open Source projects. If you want to learn more about the space, try the Ivan on Tech YouTube channel.

Soldato
OP
Ah, thanks for that. I do like BTC and Alt Coins but I'd prefer to stick with Javascript rather than jump over to C++. C++ I'd love to learn but I've got to stay strong and stick with improving on the languages I already have some knowledge in. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll go check it out regardless as it's interesting.

Back
Top Bottom