OpenSCAD flaw?

Associate
While trying to understand a mistake in a recent print I've just realised one likely cause. I'd been assuming that after changing parameters (such as length, width, etc) in the Customizer panel of OpenSCAD (and rendering), that the code would also change too. But that's clearly not the case on closer study.

Which explains why I was dismayed to find, the day after using File > Save, that I had lost my previous edits.

That seems a very basic design flaw to me. But as a beginner with both 3D printing and OpenSCAD I'm curious to know what others think please?

My tentative conclusion is that despite the simplicity of using the Customizer, I'll make all my changes in the code in future.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you talking about the application OpenSCAD or the integrated version on thingiverse?

I've used the downloaded application and saved my progress, so if you're talking about the thingiverse version I'd download the application.

Then on thingiverse download the .scad file and open it in the application.

Associate
OP
Are you talking about the application OpenSCAD or the integrated version on thingiverse?

I've used the downloaded application and saved my progress, so if you're talking about the thingiverse version I'd download the application.

Then on thingiverse download the .scad file and open it in the application.

Thanks. I’m using OpenSCAD on my PC. You seem to be confirming that when you make a change to a parameter in Customizer, that change is also made automatically in the code, yes? That is not the case here, unless I have configured some setting incorrectly.

Associate
Thanks. I’m using OpenSCAD on my PC. You seem to be confirming that when you make a change to a parameter in Customizer, that change is also made automatically in the code, yes? That is not the case here, unless I have configured some setting incorrectly.

Explain what you mean by "Customizer".

Edit*
Ok I googled it, I don't use that I edit the scad file as downloaded and change the parameters on the left of OpenSCAD and the use file - save. This overwrites the file downloaded.

I'll take a look at Customizer later today.

Associate
OK, had a quick look. The Customizer allows you to quickly change parameters based on the code, you don't actually change the code. You can however save preset's based on you're changes.

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom