1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opera 10.60 Alpha 1

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by MarcLister, 31 May 2010.

1. MarcLister

Capodecina

So its what we've all been waiting for, no not Israel's attack on aid ships, but the first alpha build of the next step in the Opera browser: 10.60 Alpha 1.

I'm quite happy to be playing with the latest Opera builds and find them quite stable considering they are pre-release, although I'll admit to being frustrated by the bug in the 10.50 line where Opera will crash if I open several tabs in quick succession by typing in the bookmark shortcuts.

So say I open a tab and type 'news' for the BBC News site and then a new tab with 'sport' for BBC Sport then 'fh' and 'lh' in new tabs for FileHippo.com and Lifehacker.com respectively Opera will, more often than not, crash instantly. I've no idea why its happening and what should be causing it. But, and its a big Beyonce Knowles' sized but, that seems to less of a problem in 10.60. The menu in 10.60 is easier to see, they've added "Menu" to the big red O menu tab. :p

I've only been using the 10.60 Alpha 1 build for a few hours but it feels more reliable and sturdy than any 10.5x build, even the official releases! I'm not sure about speed improvements as I've not done any Sunspider etc tests and it doesn't really feel faster or slower in general loading of pages than 10.50 but I'm not sure its possible to sense a massive change in the speed of page loading when you're talking about millseconds to load pages anyway.

I thought I'd make a new 10.60 thread so we can discuss the new builds that'll end up making the new Opera browser and seeing what we like, or dislike, about changes, additions and subtractions from 10.50.

This thread isn't for any Opera v rest of browsers or "Yeah but no but yeah Chrome is the dog's nuts" discussion so can we leave that for another thread. I'd also like to see Mr Greenlizard0 see if this build does anything to improve on his dire Flash performance with Opera of late. :)

All that remains is for me to link to the new build and maybe post a changelog.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/05/31/opera-10-60-alpha-1

2. theheyes

Sgarrista

Opera is one of those bits of software that does nothing wrong, yet so far hasn't offered enough to displace what I'm using already. I download the alpha and I quite like it - there are some nice features on there. I tried Opera last year and when I opened it up I was like "wow... clutter", but they seem to have gotten to grips on that and these later releases look a lot cleaner. I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade for real Opera users. :D

Slightly off-topic but I really like Opera on the iPhone. Page rendering is a bit (lot) iffy but I can't fault it for speed.

3. ants83

Wise Guy

i like it. using it now im impressed

4. Mekrel

Soldato

I had an issue with the last Opera I used where any Facebook chat windows would scroll to the top automatically, so if someone replied to me, I would have to scroll all the way down to see what they've just said.

Any of you guys use Facebook and can test that out? Would do it myself but I'm off to bed and I'm currently in Linux Mint.

5. Greenlizard0

Man of Honour

Among other things this is something that happens to me, no biggy though I just use Facebook's chat function in Trillian.

Looking forward to 10.6, 10.53 was finally stable after I couldn't use any of the previous 10.5x installations.

I gotta be honest I'm not optimistic. :p I have IE8 permanently open now anyway for Tesco, iPlayer and SkyPlayer.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2010
  6. mattbrown91

Wise Guy

Looks pretty fixed to me :)

7. Greenlizard0

Man of Honour

Del

8. MarcLister

Capodecina

:p Given it a try yet? :)

9. mrk

Man of Honour

I'll try it and compare it between Chrome 6 (dev channel) and my Firefox primary 3.6.4 but not even the mighty Chrome can pull me away from Firefox until BBCODE and FireFTP make their way to Opera/Chrome (unlikely in the former any time soon lol).

10. rickh

Hitman

I love operas mini browser on the phone, but it doesnt offer me an amazing reason to switch from firefox on the desktop!

11. mrk

Man of Honour

[​IMG]

^ My performance results for 10.6 were impressive I have to say. Still, no switch until it gets extensions!

12. Fire Wizard

Don

I have been using the Opera 10.60 Alpha 1 for a while now and it's superb. Incredibly stable, much more so than Opera 10.50. I really like the change they have made to the red tab located at the top left hand side. I also like the changes they have made to the Speed Dial feature as well as the tab animations. It's shaping up to be an excellent web browser. :)