Opinions on this £450 i5 2550k -> Ryzen 5 upgrade please?

Associate
So after 2 weeks of research on here and elsewhere, my finger is finally hovering over that taunting 'Place Order' button. Just thought I'd get some final opinions before I take the plunge!

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
Adata XPG SX8200 480GB M.2-2280 SSD
Asrock B450M-HDV mobo

This is an upgrade for my current micro atx rig which is:

i5 2550k CPU
8GB Geil Black Dragon DDR3 RAM
Asrock H77 Pro4-M mobo
EVGA GTX 670ftw gfx
60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair HX620w PSU
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo HSF
Cooltek U3 micro ATX case

I'll most probably be getting a GTX 1060 6GB and new PSU (current one is at least 5 years old) in a couple of weeks to add to this and after I've flogged the old kit.

Soldato
while that i5 isnt reviewed as good as the 2500k, you probably wouldve been best off buying a 1060 hell even a 1070 first then sell and buy the ryzen, the gtx 660 i have runs very well balanced it seems with my ryzen 1200, but i cant imagine you will have a good gaming experience with your 670 and the 2600.

Soldato
while that i5 isnt reviewed as good as the 2500k, you probably wouldve been best off buying a 1060 hell even a 1070 first then sell and buy the ryzen, the gtx 660 i have runs very well balanced it seems with my ryzen 1200, but i cant imagine you will have a good gaming experience with your 670 and the 2600.
Even clocked to 4.5ghz my 3570k was struggling in any AAA title from 2016 onwards, if OP wants to play any fairly demanding games from the last two years upgrading to Ryzen is the right choice, I'd probably keep the PSU though and get a GTX 1070 and wait until I had enough money to replace the PSU, it's not a bad unit even though it is at least 5 years old, that is better than what many guys run.

Associate
OP

I'm not planning on keeping the 670, as I said. I am waiting until pay day in just over a week's time. As for the gaming experience, literally everything in the system bar the GPU is a 2, even 3 generation jump so I fail to see how this upgrade can be anything but good :confused:

Soldato
i wasnt saying the upgrade wasnt good, just usually people would suggest a gpu upgrade first and only the cpu if it was a shocking one which you dont, doesnt bother me what you spend your money on, i was just giving an opinion.

Even clocked to 4.5ghz my 3570k was struggling in any AAA title from 2016 onwards, if OP wants to play any fairly demanding games from the last two years upgrading to Ryzen is the right choice, I'd probably keep the PSU though and get a GTX 1070 and wait until I had enough money to replace the PSU, it's not a bad unit even though it is at least 5 years old, that is better than what many guys run.

what triple A titles you talking about and how far were you pushing the system? my athlon 860k and my ryzen 1200 with either a gtx 660 or 650 plays some demanding games from 40fps on high settings, if you dont try to go beyond the limits then you shouldnt have a problem.

Soldato
i wasnt saying the upgrade wasnt good, just usually people would suggest a gpu upgrade first and only the cpu if it was a shocking one which you dont, doesnt bother me what you spend your money on, i was just giving an opinion.

what triple A titles you talking about and how far were you pushing the system? my athlon 860k and my ryzen 1200 with either a gtx 660 or 650 plays some demanding games from 40fps on high settings, if you dont try to go beyond the limits then you shouldnt have a problem.
Battlefield 1/V, Fifa 17/18/19, any recent COD (If you want to call them AAA), Forza Horizon 3/4, Six Siege, I was at 90%-100% utilization with my 3570k at 4.5ghz getting stutter in all of these, once I switched it out for a 3770k at same clockspeed it's mostly gone, although I should upgrade soon. You are running a very old card that was only mid range in 2011-2012, OP is getting a 1060 or 1070 which would easily annihilate you 660 by fourfold. Haven't reinstalled Windows or changed anything other than that about 6 months ago and it's been so much better, hate to think how much nicer a total upgrade would be!

Associate
OP
Fair enough Exo. I was just in an 'in for a penny, in for a pound' mindset and decided to go all in with the upgrade. Initially I was just considering getting a better second hand graphics card and possibly 1155 CPU. For what it's worth, I can run Ghost Recon Wildlands at medium to high settings at very playable FPS with my 2550k and 670ftw?

Anyway, I picked up all my shiny new parts today. It's been 5 years since I last experienced the joys of opening and smelling all the new techy goodness :D Spent the afternoon literally cleaning up the system. Fans, graphics card cooling, fresh thermal compound applied, bit of cable tidying, all ready to be sold! Got Windows 10 (I've been on 7 since 2010 haha!) and will do the actual upgrade either tomorrow or this weekend. How much do you reckon I should ask for the old components?

Associate
OP
Ok cheers. 150-200 is what I was thinking.
Apparently those SSDs are cr*p and the reason OCZ went bust. Speaking of which, is it an urban myth that formatting SSDs is bad for them? If so, are they good for the bin? :confused:

Soldato
Ok cheers. 150-200 is what I was thinking.
Apparently those SSDs are cr*p and the reason OCZ went bust. Speaking of which, is it an urban myth that formatting SSDs is bad for them? If so, are they good for the bin? :confused:

older SSDs werent the best for formatting due to the amount of times the cells could be written to , reformat counted as a write

Associate
OP
They've never been formatted before...but they are both at least 4 years old. What do you suggest I do with them? I'm thinking of formatting them tonight to clean them up ready for re-sale.

Back
Top Bottom