• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron 165 and DFI Lanparty

Associate
yes you have to use sata 3 and 4 which are locked, this is a very stable board, if you get it flash the bios though to a later edition. I also find it reads the temps a bit high. Check out DFI street forums, loads of info there mate.

Associate
Dont worry about PCI locks on the DFI Lanparty Nforce 4 chipset. You can use any SATA connectors you want. The SATA problem was with the Nforce 3 chipset.

Associate
I have just received my Opteron 165 from the same place you are getting it from. You should get a CCBWE 0551VPMW. I have mine running at 2.7Ghz :) 1.5v prime stable on both cores.

Soldato
I'd like to try one of those Asrock SATA 2 mobo, look very interesting for a el-cheapo mobo - and the PCI-E/AGP ports are a added bonus.

I've got one of those Opteron 165 puppies comming, hopefully today, I'll post later what steeping it is.. I'm only cooling it with a artic cooler 64, so posibly a more limited overclock which is fine -it's the dual cores that i "need" :)

Associate
Water cooling does not seem to make a huge amount of difference with these dual core opty's unless you take off the IHS so you should be getting at least 2.6Ghz :cool:.

Associate
No I have not removed the IHS. Although I am tempted as core 0 will prime all the way up to 2.9Ghz but core 1 seems to stop at 2.75Ghz. I have not had a chance yet to try and burn it in if that actually works or not. My arctic silver 5 has not had time to cure yet either.

Soldato
I've just got mine, exact same stepping as you two... My Artic 64 cooler seems to be struggling a bit. I'm @ 240FSB atm which equals 2160 on both cores @ default(1.376 according to CPU-Z) volts, the temps are a bit high at 46C when priming one core and F@H running on the other core :).

I'll let it burn in for a bit to see if it settles down, might have to re-attach the cooler as i had a 'mare putting it back on for some reason and messed up my AS5 on the core a bit.

So far, so good.

Soldato
Devious, what heatsink have you got?

I've got a Artic Freezer64 and things are getting toasty now @ 265MHz fsb(2385MHz CPU), 52 degrees C with 2 pime95's running - I don't think the Freezer can much further..:(

Soldato
hominid said:
Devious, what heatsink have you got?

I've got a Artic Freezer64 and things are getting toasty now @ 265MHz fsb(2385MHz CPU), 52 degrees C with 2 pime95's running - I don't think the Freezer can much further..:(

Ive got an Arctic Freezer64 pro. Its also pretty chilly im my house ...

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
jezzag said:
Have any of you tried the stock cooler that comes with the 165. It is supposed to be pretty good. Its got 4 heat pipes.

i'll give it a go, that's if city link actually decide to deliver me 165 tomorrow :rolleyes:

Soldato
Here's a picture of how I'm going along, not bad at 2475MHz @ default volts..

Temps seem to have settled down to around 51C even at the slightly increased overclock, although I'm not priming yet as i'm encoding a video atm..

The default heatsink looks good, i might give it a go, but i think i'll try either the zalman 9500 or the Artic 64 pro - not decided yet..

At the end of the day, it's nearly an FX60 for £240 ish - and i haven't finnished on the overclock yet! Great :D

//edit: for spelling and picture edit..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom