• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

opteron or 3700+ SD?? HELP

Associate
OP
words of wisdom! Thanks for all you help chaps. My 3700SD Retail is on its way. Cannot afford ram until the 3rd of march. Will just run the cpu at stock speeds for now.

I think im just going to buy the PC3200 Twinx corsair 2gb Ram.

Once again thanks. Alan

Associate
Hi Jestergt,

Good choice in going with your 3700SD, mine used to do 2.8ghz with 1.4125V and was rock stable.

If you want a guide on Overclocking (I always show people this one but it is really good), Click Here

I hope this straightens a few things out for you mate.

Agent :cool:

Soldato
The GEil Value is good stuff and because you can run a divider it doesnt need to run fast, my Geil Value is rock stable at HHT of 235 (but i run it on a 333 divider with my 3700SD anyway) and for the price you get 2 Gig rather than 1 gig of very fast stuff. Some current any many upcomming games will run faster with 2 Gig mem.

Soldato
pegasus1 said:
The GEil Value is good stuff and because you can run a divider it doesnt need to run fast, my Geil Value is rock stable at HHT of 235 (but i run it on a 333 divider with my 3700SD anyway) and for the price you get 2 Gig rather than 1 gig of very fast stuff. Some current any many upcomming games will run faster with 2 Gig mem.

Yea thats what i thought, run ram on a divider as it doesnt effect performance on a64's cos memory controller in on the cpu yea?

Dont know why u should have to spend more money if u can just run geil value ram on a divider unless u want tight timings. But surely tight timings only give an extra few % boost? :confused:

Associate
I think you are starting to understand camalot. Tight timings cost a lot but will only speed things up a small amount. And you are correct that running ram on a divider is no longer a problem with these cpus.

Soldato
man_from_uncle said:
And you are correct that running ram on a divider is no longer a problem with these cpus.
that is as long as the memory is *happy* to run on a divider, sometimes it doesn't work, depends on ram (or maybe the mem controller onboard). I have some Ballistix PC3200 that can run from 200MHz-295MHz 3-3-3-8 but for some reason most of the dividers don't work with my ASUS/Opteron. . .

To sum up, always expect the unexpected, don't assume 100% that something will work!

Back
Top Bottom