• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opterons 165 & 170 < - Gibbo

Associate
aztechnology said:
a 175 Opteron has 2MB L2 cache, an x2 4400 only has 1MB L2 cache. If you can find a 175 there are worth having.

I thought that both the 175 and 4400 had 1Mb per core? The AMD site certainly seems to suggest this is case for the 4400.

The 175 requires fewer volts than the 4400 I believe, possibly making it a little more clocking friendly and run slightly cooler.

cheers
v.f.

Caporegime
Processor: Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor
Model Number: 175
Frequency (GHz): 2.2
L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
Socket: 939
Stepping: E6
Manufacturing Tech (CMOS): .09 micron SOI
Wattage (W): 110.0
Integrated Memory
Controller (GHz): 2.2

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core
Model Number: 4400+
Frequency (MHz): 2200
L2 Cache Size: 1MB x2
Socket: 939
Stepping: E6
Manufacturing Tech (CMOS): 90nm SOI
Wattage (W): - no preference - 89 110
System Bus (MHz): 2000

They both have 1mb cache per core!

Associate
I was going to get a 4400+ but if the 165 or the 170, I would get one of these instead as well as a few other bits and bobs from the money saved :D

Fingers crossed everyone.

Associate
I'd jump on a 165 or 170. I tried in vain for an opteron 146 when I last upgraded, but when I couldn't get one at a reasonable price I decided not to bother with a new CPU.

I'd get one of these in an instant, and a DFI board to go with it :)

Soldato
Well to be fair to OCUK, their description seems to be ok to me

After all each core would HAVE to be identical, so in the description it details what each core's spec is and the title of product is DUal core

So I would say misleading was too strong myself - but it could be clearer i suppose

Gibbo -- pleaseeeee give us an update on the 165 / 170 situ

Soldato
Hi

Misleading is a little strong - I do agree with you on reflection :)

I do think it could be clearer, as I do get asked to clarify it fairly reguarly. When people see the description for the P-D, for example, it states 1MB per core. When they just see "1MB" on the X2 description they think that's the total

Associate
I wonder if I can get an opteron through my business contacts as I know a number of organisations that can source parts for me, may even get a good price if they want me to keep buying things for the company I work for.

Does OcUK do Business accounts?
Wouldn't mind setting up an account with them as they have some great deals?

Associate
hey

i am in a posistion where i am able to get a 165 for the us and recieve it around the end of this month... having looked around it seems I can get one for around $310 (about 170 quid). Do you reckon its worth it? My options are either get a 146 from somewhere in the uk (about 140 quid) or wait and get a 165 from somewhere in the uk (if they come into stock) or order one from the us and wait till the end of the month to recieve it...

what do you think

thanks

Caporegime
Minstadave said:
I'd be very tempted by a 165 if OcUK got some stock in, they're bargain chips :)
Knowing you, youd get 5 aswell ;)...

GAMEfreak said:
coldbug? explain please =/
When using some CPU chips under extreme cooling for a monster overclock they fail to boot due to the very cold temp at startup - Im unsure if theres some chips more particular susceptible than others - basically makes them useless under vapo/mach without increasing the startup temp nearer to zero...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
.......useless

Think thats very strong, to my mind I think customers are lucky enough to get them at all, especially at the price - remember Intel charge two or three times the price for similar or worse performance

Also a bug is only there under normal operation, what you are talking abotu definitely cant be classed in any way normal - therefore isnt a bug

Just my interpretation though

Caporegime
Confused in the response and its point - someone asked what the coldbug was and I answered - considering vapo/mach is considered extreme cooling its a given its running your CPU outside normal circumstances...

If your CPU has the coldbug it just doesnt work at the temps extreme cooling provides - its a fact not an opinion, dont think I said it was a negative on AMDs or Intels part (I didnt mention one or the other in my statement) since its running them out of normal circumstances...

Last edited:
Associate
meme_uk said:
hey

i am in a posistion where i am able to get a 165 for the us and recieve it around the end of this month... having looked around it seems I can get one for around $310 (about 170 quid). Do you reckon its worth it? My options are either get a 146 from somewhere in the uk (about 140 quid) or wait and get a 165 from somewhere in the uk (if they come into stock) or order one from the us and wait till the end of the month to recieve it...

what do you think

thanks

After I found the 165 for £170 inc delivery from US I was thinking of doing an upgrade. Its well worth it imo, I will probably do the same thing if I can find some cash :(

Back
Top Bottom