1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optical output on motherboard.. how do I get sound working?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Robert1986, 24 Sep 2009.

1. Robert1986

Capodecina

I just noticed my motherboard has an optical output. I connected it to my 5.1 logitech speakers with the optical cable but can't figure out how to get sound working.

Any help?

Motherboard - (P5N32-E SLI PLUS)

2. gurusan

Capodecina

Go to the sound options in your control panel and make sure that the spdif out is your primary sound device.

And make sure the logitech control pod has optical selected as the source.

3. L0stpr0phet

Gangster

should just be the option in sound control panel/software to switch it to digital out. then set logitech to recieve on the digital input.

sorry just seen gurusan posted earlier :)

4. Robert1986

Capodecina

Just installed the asus on board sound drivers and got sound coming out of my speakers but only 2 of the 45 speakers.

5. Robert1986

Capodecina

btw, the speakers I have are the Logitech Z-680. Do I also need the software for these speakers to set them up right? I couldn't find the correct software at all.

6. gurusan

Capodecina

It's been a long time since I've had a 5.1 setup but I'm pretty sure it will run in 2.1 channel mode until you watch a movie with DTS or Dolby or whatever.

or try playing a game?

7. Robert1986

Capodecina

I am trying to test the speakers in the sound control panel but can only get 2 channels to work.

8. DigitalReaper

Gangster

SPDIF only supports 2 uncompressed channels. For 5.1 sound you need to compress them to fit into the same space as 2 uncompressed channels. Tracks on DVDs are already compressed in this way so all the player does is stream them to your receiver.

9. Theguy

Wise Guy

What he said. unless your soundcard maker (realtek) do a DD live type thing, iam not sure if they do, you would be stuck with 2 channels..