Options for new UNRAID NAS inc recycle CPU from gaming rig?

Soldato
Currently my NAS is a HP Proliant ML110 G5 Xeon 3065 running 6 x Various 4-12Tb HDD in JBOD mode on Windows Server 2012 (mainly used to stream Kodi to 2 Nvidia Shields, run Jdownloder, SABNZBD and LMS Server)

Have been looking at modernising the above and my homework has taken me from with either building a more modern energy efficient version or buying a new(er) HP Server like a Dell Poweredge t610 lff or building a NAS Killer 4.0 with older XEONS on a Socket 1155 to building a Ryzen 7 1700 NAS from scratch with a Fractal Node 804 case

Plenty of pros and cons -:

Did look at a QSV Xeon rig to re-encode my 80Gb MKV's to X265 however it appears HDR doesn't convert very well without a lot of tinkering so decided to just suck up the storage hit

The T610 Poweredge Option is really not much of a power saving quieter move over my existing setup

The NAS Killer option depends on buying parts from China or on the 2nd hand market and a lot of time spent building/troubleshooting for again not too much power/quiteness gain

The Ryzen 7 1700 build would probably cost double the other options and then there's the whole ECC RAM minefield to traverse

However there may be a leftfield alternative (new build with 3700x /
Fractal Node 804 case) by using the 3700x CPU in my gaming rig and building the NAS around that and buying one of the new Ryzen 3300x to slot into my gaming rig

Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI B450 Tomahawk
G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX 16 GB
5700XT

For my needs, do I really need Server grade parts or would I get away with consumer MB with no ECC RAM?

Thoughts??

I’m not 100% sure on your MSI Tomahawk, but ECC is totally a thing on AM4.

Back
Top Bottom