Options for replacing cement render

Associate
Hi all,

We have a 1930's semi with a section of cement render below a bedroom window which has worn out and looks to be trapping moisture in the wall (there are some signs of damp on the internal wall).

GWSq8ik.jpeg

We'd like to replace the render but want to avoid having the same issue in the future, so I was wondering what breathable alternatives are available?

I was considering tiles, similar to this, but was not sure if it would be possible or just plain weird given that this is where the house joins to neighbouring property.

66203e36c3f924e45bd25de655f72f1d.jpg

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Soldato
Are you certain it's a moisture issue the cement looks fairly sound from the photo but plainly I can't see it well enough to be certain. Might it be a humidity and condensation issue? Is it a single skin wall with a concrete render? It may act as a heat sink when cold so be a site for humidity to condense. The windows will warm quickly and the other walls in the room are internal so naturally warmer, it will if there is no radiator be the coldest sopt in the room. But a tiled finish may create a warmer wall by introducing a bit of an air gap.

Tea Drinker
Don
We had a similar problem which was the old tar and hessian cavity tray over the window goes brittle then let’s water through and not out in the weep vents like it’s supposed to.

For what it’s worth I’d chop the lot off and re render properly to remain in keeping. If you can get your neighbour to chip in you can split the cost. It won’t cost twice as much to do both so you’ll both be saving cash.

Soldato
How bad does the inside look?

it just might sound like £20 waste but have you considered painting a few layers of dulux weather shield on top of that render? Yes it looks a bit worn away and if you can wait and not in a rush to spend money just before christmas, try the paint on there first.

Back
Top Bottom