Optoma 143x - is this normal?

Associate
Hey guys,
I've bought today Optoma 143x. Have been trying it at my bedroom. Really enjoying the image quality.
But I have noticed something when the movie got really dark, it looks like a light bleed to me, but Idk if this happens with projectors. Could you advise me if this normal?
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkRt4JyQyB-Nm1d5hlc5-2Q_M9uf

I've pasted Url to cloud folder with pictures as I'm not sure if I can attach pics here.
Could someone please take a look and shere their opinion?

I bought it from Richer Sounds, as opened box return. Guys there said customer just did not like it, I can return it and its what probably I'm gonna do, but thought that perhaps this is what I get with lower tier projectors?

Many thanks
S

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bearing in mind we're looking at photos rather than the image in the flesh, and so far we don't know what your picture settings are like, but I would say that that isn't normal.

The light patch is an irregular shape and doesn't move when the image angle changes, so it doesn't look like hot-spotting from a screen with the gain too high. The patch is also localised rather than being a washed out effect all over the screen, and that would suggest it's not the brightness control turned up too high. (The brightness control may still be too high, but it would be unlikely to cause this localised effect.)

I have a suspicion what it might be, so I think this needs looking at by the guys in RS. It may be that they checked out the projector in a brighter room than yours so didn't notice this issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bearing in mind we're looking at photos rather than the image in the flesh, and so far we don't know what your picture settings are like, but I would say that that isn't normal.

The light patch is an irregular shape and doesn't move when the image angle changes, so it doesn't look like hot-spotting from a screen with the gain too high. The patch is also localised rather than being a washed out effect all over the screen, and that would suggest it's not the brightness control turned up too high. (The brightness control may still be too high, but it would be unlikely to cause this localised effect.)

I have a suspicion what it might be, so I think this needs looking at by the guys in RS. It may be that they checked out the projector in a brighter room than yours so didn't notice this issue.
Brightness/contrast were at 0, I have tries various settings but it did not make any difference

Man of Honour
Hey lucid,
Thanks for looking into that

what's your suspicion?
Smudge/dirty lcd panel?

Thanks
S
I think that this.looks more like a problem with the UV filter on the front of the lamp module.

You're aware of the heat generated by the lamp, and you know from getting sunburn that light carries energy which causes objects in the light path to heat up if the light source is intense enough. inside tour DLP projector there's a very intense light source that focuses it's energy in to a narrow beam. Potentially that could fry more delicate components inside the projector's light path from the lamp through to the colour wheel and the final set of image focusing lens elements.

To stop that overheating happening, there's a piece of glass called UV filter which blocks a lot of the heat energy.Its either on the front of the lamp module, or the first element inside the projector. It doesn't take kindly to being handled with bare hands. The old from our skin leaves it's mark (a finger print), and when exposed to intense heat, the oil turns a milky white colour. There's your mark.

What I suspect is that the previous owner either had the lamp out to have a look and got his sausage fingers in the wrong place. He's then run the.projector and realised he messed up, but instead of being honest, he's just returnedit hoping no-one would notice and put 2 and 2 together. That, or possibly someone has had the original lamp out and replaced it with the bored unit.

I must stress these are only best guesses, so don't go in to RS with this as gospel. Give them a call and arrange a time to take in the projector so that they can see the issue. It's not right. You bought it as an open box, but your consumer rights all still stand. It shouldn't be faulty. My bet is that a new lamp with UV filter will sort it.

Associate
OP
I think that this.looks more like a problem with the UV filter on the front of the lamp module.

You're aware of the heat generated by the lamp, and you know from getting sunburn that light carries energy which causes objects in the light path to heat up if the light source is intense enough. inside tour DLP projector there's a very intense light source that focuses it's energy in to a narrow beam. Potentially that could fry more delicate components inside the projector's light path from the lamp through to the colour wheel and the final set of image focusing lens elements.

To stop that overheating happening, there's a piece of glass called UV filter which blocks a lot of the heat energy.Its either on the front of the lamp module, or the first element inside the projector. It doesn't take kindly to being handled with bare hands. The old from our skin leaves it's mark (a finger print), and when exposed to intense heat, the oil turns a milky white colour. There's your mark.

What I suspect is that the previous owner either had the lamp out to have a look and got his sausage fingers in the wrong place. He's then run the.projector and realised he messed up, but instead of being honest, he's just returnedit hoping no-one would notice and put 2 and 2 together. That, or possibly someone has had the original lamp out and replaced it with the bored unit.

I must stress these are only best guesses, so don't go in to RS with this as gospel. Give them a call and arrange a time to take in the projector so that they can see the issue. It's not right. You bought it as an open box, but your consumer rights all still stand. It shouldn't be faulty. My bet is that a new lamp with UV filter will sort it.
Many thanks for the answer lucid!

Back
Top Bottom