** OSX Yosemite **

Soldato
OS X will use as much RAM as it can. Unused physical memory is just being wasted. As long as the memory pressure graph is greenish all is good.

I've got 16GB, it's showing used as 14.52GB with only 10 tabs open in Safari, Mail and iTunes open. If an application demands some memory OS X will free up some inactive memory and allocate it.

What's it doing with all of the memory that apps aren't using though? Remembering stuff? :D

I'm finding that samba is slow as hell. Literally connect to the server open the shared drive then have to wait about 20-30 seconds for it list the contents of the share despite there only being about 10 files/directories.

Soldato
So many of you will notice how terrible Spotlight can be when it comes to anything beyond searching your Mac. Worth trying this! http://flashlight.nateparrott.com

EDIT: OK, so MacStories have covered Flashlight and mentioned LaunchBar, which I never had heard of before. Looks like a more complete solution but doesn't integrate searches like Flashlight does, so it's really down to personal preference and requirements. Flashlight unfortunately only supports US shopping and weather at the moment, so aside from the quick Google searches, it isn't quite there yet.

EDIT 2: So Flashlight has seen updates in the last couple of days and you can really see where it is going. It has an API like Launchbar does, and there's already some good stuff. For now I'm sticking with it purely due to the integration with Spotlight, as it is looking extremely promising.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm having a lot of trouble clean installing Yosemite on to a non-retina MBP.

I've upgraded the MBP with 16GB Memory and a Crucial MX100 SSD.

I've tried two different MX100's and Memtested the RAM for 24 hours without error.

The initial install runs from USB. But upon restart I get a "no entry" error logo instead of the apple logo.

I've re-downloaded the Yosemite installer and tried two different USB drives too. On one try, I got to desktop but upon first reboot I was again presented with the error logo.

Any further ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
On my own rMBP. I've used the exact media to restore my own Macbook too.
No, he means how you created the image. On older versions of OS X (Lion and earlier IIRC) you used Disk Utility, using InstallESD.img as the source image. Now there is a dedicated install utility, createinstallmedia, which you use in Terminal.

Associate
So many of you will notice how terrible Spotlight can be when it comes to anything beyond searching your Mac. Worth trying this! http://flashlight.nateparrott.com

EDIT: OK, so MacStories have covered Flashlight and mentioned LaunchBar, which I never had heard of before. Looks like a more complete solution but doesn't integrate searches like Flashlight does, so it's really down to personal preference and requirements. Flashlight unfortunately only supports US shopping and weather at the moment, so aside from the quick Google searches, it isn't quite there yet.

EDIT 2: So Flashlight has seen updates in the last couple of days and you can really see where it is going. It has an API like Launchbar does, and there's already some good stuff. For now I'm sticking with it purely due to the integration with Spotlight, as it is looking extremely promising.

I've been using Alfred for a couple of years now and far superior to Spotlight pre Yosemite and still superior post Yosemite.
One of the first apps I install.

Soldato
7 hours to download 300mb update. Apple really need to fix there server game :/ can't seriously expect this to be acceptable.

I just downloaded and installed in under 7 minutes, while streaming Netflix on a 20MB connection...

It had better fix the damn WiFi. The DNS issue with it has been getting on my nerves the last couple of days.

Associate
I suspect the download is slow as many have been waiting to do fresh installs with the .1 update. However it still seems this version of OSX has issues and compatibility problems, I guess holding of until .2 is now on!

Soldato
I've been using Alfred for a couple of years now and far superior to Spotlight pre Yosemite and still superior post Yosemite.
One of the first apps I install.

This new spotlight is a bit of a pain for me. I don't use it very often, but when I do it's mainly for calculations regarding numbers I'm reading on a webpage or PDF. It was great when out of the way in the top right hand corner, now spotlight blocks what I'm trying to reference while typing in the figures :(

Soldato
No, he means how you created the image. On older versions of OS X (Lion and earlier IIRC) you used Disk Utility, using InstallESD.img as the source image. Now there is a dedicated install utility, createinstallmedia, which you use in Terminal.
Ah, I misunderstood, I used createinstallmedia in Terminal.

Associate
:( I upgraded to Yosemite yesterday and ever since then my 360 Controller stopped working for my MB Pro....

I plug in the USB and the green light comes on on the Middle button and then goes out... it just doesn't get recognised by my MB.

Has anyone come across this problem and maybe knows a solution? I want to play !! ;)

Back
Top Bottom