** OSX Yosemite **

Soldato
Is there a way to force the machine to boot to normal mode after a crash? At the moment when yosam crashes, it does'nt reboot correctly and stops at the progress bar when it tries to boot to whatever mode its trying. Normally I force it to boot in safe mode and reboot back into normal mode. Not too easy on a headerless server.

just wondering if there was a write defaults to stop this happening and make it boot correctly again after a crash.

Thanks

Soldato
Just found this rather useful thing out, which has been bugging me for years (despite being a Mac user since the OS 8 days)...you can set a default size and position for Finder windows based on folder! You simply move and resize it while holding the Alt key! Or, you can resize and reposition the window as desired, then hover over the edge of the window until the little resize arrow (⟷) pops up, and just Alt-click.

This has been winding me up on my iMac for the past four years, every time I opened a new Finder window I'd end up with a useless tiny window!

Last edited:
Associate
Just found this rather useful thing out, which has been bugging me for years (despite being a Mac user since the OS 8 days)...you can set a default size and position for Finder windows based on folder! You simply move and resize it while holding the Alt key! Or, you can resize and reposition the window as desired, then hover over the edge of the window until the little resize arrow (⟷) pops up, and just Alt-click.

This has been winding me up on my iMac for the past four years, every time I opened a new Finder window I'd end up with a useless tiny window!

Everyday a school day.

Associate
It just seems too many bugs and issues even after .2 updates. Couple this with the issue of the OS only looking great on a retina screen makes me ponder if this is an OSX I will skip or even to wait until significantly further down the road with its patches.

Soldato

So it turns out that this holds...until I log out :mad:

On the plus side, I've discovered the power of Alfred - I knew what it did but not that it was this powerful. Launchbar was awful in comparison, just made no sense whatsoever.

Soldato
So my issues so far:

• I have to turn the wifi on and off manually to get it working when I turn the system on. Although from sleep the wifi is fine.
  • Boot times are longer by 10-20 seconds.
  • Smc fan control's temperature readings have become completely inaccurate.
  • Office stopped working but an update fixed that.
  • Resizing windows has become a pain.

On a positive note I stopped getting kernel panics once every 2 weeks. The kernel panics stopping and being able to call and text from the mac have been a nice addition.

Last edited:
Associate
What's the general opinion, is it worth upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite?

Honestly, unless you really want the SMS/Call forwarding from an iDevice, I wouldn't even say it's worth upgrading from Lion or Mountain Lion, if you're on one of those.

I'm not even convinced I'd be too upset if I couldn't upgrade from Snow Leopard. In fact, I'm genuinely considering putting Snow Leopard back on my Macbook to see if I miss anything: I really can't think of anything added since Facetime and the App Store in Lion that I've cared about? The rest is just nonsense I have no use for.

I certainly wouldn't miss these garish blue folder icons!

That said, in the limited time I've been using it I've not noticed any bugs/glitches etc, nor any unusual slowness considering I'm on a 2009 non-pro MacBook: it's not bad, just ugly and pointless. I've not extensively tested battery life or stability though.

If you've upgraded to it like I have without any apparent problems, I wouldn't say it needs to be removed: but I wouldn't rush to upgrade any time soon and would have been quite happy sat on Mavericks.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
It just seems too many bugs and issues even after .2 updates. Couple this with the issue of the OS only looking great on a retina screen makes me ponder if this is an OSX I will skip or even to wait until significantly further down the road with its patches.

Lots of major complaints from people on dual displays.

UK App Store ratings.

Associate
It seems this will be the first OSX I've not upgraded to within 3 months of release since OS 7. If they don't sort the bugs and in particular the external monitor sue then it will be a skip.

I wonder how to protect and backup Mavericks install , as don't the block re downloading the old version of OSX after awhile? I don't want to be forced to upgrade.

Soldato
I don't use mission control, but I can't say I've noticed any lag or other issues when using my MBP on an external display every day. Now I've downloaded another JRE package from Apple, my pop up is gone, and I'm not experiencing any problems with Yosemite on my work computer.

Soldato
I've noticed lag on an external display on my macbook air. But I've only started using an external display since after Yosemite came out.

I figured it was just my 2011 air having trouble until I read this thread. Do you think it's more likely to be OSX?

9HJTUg1.png

Web based playback is really quite bad sometimes on a 1920x1200 external monitor.

Soldato
It's probably just Flash or Silverlight being *** fully star swearing please ***The Intel 3000 is perfectly quick enough for video decode - even the slower HD 2000 can decode five HD streams simultaneously.

Back
Top Bottom