Other than Chief Goalkick Generator....

Caporegime
He is not as young as people seem to think. I totally agree with your general point though. Its the "average" players turning in 10-15 games a season that wins titles. Park, O'shea, Fletcher et al probably wouldnt trouble many first XIs in our rivals but what they do is vital. However in Gibsons case im struggling to find the redeeming features.

Also, he's like 22/23 isn't he?

Soldato
I feel kind of sorry for him with the Twitter thing. He probably thought 'Oh, wouldn't it be cool if I could connect with the fans,' and that turned into 'Oh... maybe the fans all hate me.'

Man of Honour
I feel kind of sorry for him with the Twitter thing. He probably thought 'Oh, wouldn't it be cool if I could connect with the fans,' and that turned into 'Oh... maybe the fans all hate me.'

Not all of them, just the ones that think they know everything about football and could replace Sir Alex in a heartbeat.

Associate

How far off reality would he have to be not to expect it though, he must know how any idiots are about and that he's generally not considered United quality.

Soldato
How far off reality would he have to be not to expect it though, he must know how any idiots are about and that he's generally not considered United quality.

I'm just saying there's a difference between suspecting it, and having a bunch of fans say they hope you get transferred in the summer. Can't imagine it's a nice feeling.

Soldato
It's just not necessary, it won't make any difference other than damaging his confidence and to be honest as much as I might not think he's not got the quality I think he puts in the effort every time so don't have interest in abusing him directly for the sake of it.

Behind his back i'm perfectly cool with.

Caporegime
It could be worse, could have been death threats (or perhaps they just didn't print those)

Unfortunately the internet is an incredibly unfriendly place when you're a public figure, especially an unpopular one.

Associate
I'm just saying there's a difference between suspecting it, and having a bunch of fans say they hope you get transferred in the summer. Can't imagine it's a nice feeling.

Oh yeah I agree, I just think he knows himself he is not popular with the fans and generally not considered United quality and he probably would have been wise not to join, although now it's happened I hope for his sake and the teams that it acts as a spur to prove them wrong.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm serious, you should never mistake my dislike for his role at the club and his ability as a footballer as a dislike of the person.

I wasn't sure I'd say anything to suggest this? :confused:

Oh yeah I agree, I just think he knows himself he is not popular with the fans and generally not considered United quality and he probably would have been wise not too join, although now it's happened I hope for his sake and the teams that it acts as a spur to prove them wrong.

I think every United fan must hope that this has got to spur him on to improve, but I don't think we'll see much of an improvement, I think this will effect him for the worse if anything.

Associate
I think every United fan must hope that this has got to spur him on to improve, but I don't think we'll see much of an improvement, I think this will effect him for the worse if anything.

It could well do, it depends on his personality I suppose, but like you say, we (the United fans) all hope it doesn't.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lucas got stick from the media, opposition fans and our own a few seasons ago and didn't bat an eye lid. Just kept quiet and worked hard and he's finally getting the credit his performances deserve.

If Gibson isn't strong enough to take it on the chin and improve he should really look to play at a lower level or quit football altogether.

Caporegime
Lucas got stick from the media, opposition fans and our own a few seasons ago and didn't bat an eye lid. Just kept quiet and worked hard and he's finally getting the credit his performances deserve.

If Gibson isn't strong enough to take it on the chin and improve he should really look to play at a lower level or quit football altogether.

I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to be considered a first team choice at United, he's just a squad player. He could improve and take up a first team choice but I can't see it.

I think he'll probably stay as he's decent back up, works hard and has a bit of experience, it's what makes Fergie such a good manager, he knows which roles suit players and he knows to keep them happy.

I think he'd be a first team choice at a mid / lower premier league side. I don't think stick is anything that bothers footballers too much, but I suppose it's different when it's from your own fans and they seem to dislike you. Some abuse is deserved, some isn't, I think for being constantly "alright" this was overly harsh.

Back
Top Bottom