Other than Chief Goalkick Generator....

Caporegime
Erugh, not this again.

Yep. United are my Second Club. Sheffield Wednesday. Manchester United. Also like, well I keep an eye on their results, Donny Rovers ('cause I've been a few times and have two mental uncles that go) and Denaby United, folded now, but a club my Grandad used to be chairman of :)

Associate
Erugh, not this again.

Yep. United are my Second Club. Sheffield Wednesday. Manchester United. Also like, well I keep an eye on their results, Donny Rovers ('cause I've been a few times and have two mental uncles that go) and Denaby United, folded now, but a club my Grandad used to be chairman of :)

Ah ok, no problem, I was just wondering, didn't realise it had been discussed before. :)

Caporegime
Aye, I've probably been to Old Trafford more times then a lot of the United fans on here as well :p

I wish I was at Hillsborough today to see the goal Douglas scored against us, Me and My Dad were both busy with work so some family went for us, got texts and a phone call saying it was outstanding :(

/back on topic. Gibson rawr rawr.

Associate
lol@ this taken from the Beeb:
Some of the comments that made him leave:
Darron Gibson @dgibbo28 is on Twitter, a traitor to his country [reference to being born in Derry and playing for the Republic] and a s**** footballer.
@dgibbo28 You are a abysmal excuse for a footballer. You're a one trick pony - a s*** one at that. What Fergie sees in you I do not know...
@dgibbo28 hasn't tweeted yet. Seems somewhat fitting after the countless anonymous performances we've seen the "footballer".

Man of Honour
OP
One thing I would point out is that there is a big difference between someone [who may or may not have had a few ciders throughout the day!] posting on a forum about a player and actually writing stuff on their personal twitter account in full view of the player, their colleagues, friends etc.

So although as a professional sportsman in the public eye you have to be able to live with critisism, it is only things like Twitter that get so direct and personal, giving a link direct from the public through to the players (compared to say the traditional media, where aside from maybe a letters page or phonein that are easily avoided, you have little to worry about).

What I wrote in the OP, would I post it on his twitter, would I print it off and post it through his letterbox - no, I wouldn't (and even then I didn't write anything particular offensive other than questioning his ability). I don't wish the guy any discomfort, I just genuinely don't understand what he brings to the table other than a powerful shot that every now and then will come off.

I'd just sat watching football having a few drinks and during the MU match I saw him blaze his third attempted shot of the half and got thinking, this is Manchester United we are talking about here, the 'best' club of the past 20 years, why are they wasting their time with this guy? If Kleberson wasn't good enough why do they think he is? That's the real point I'm making, surely there must be better options, why discard better players and then play Gibson?

Caporegime
I think as I've attempted to point out, that Gibson is there because of a lack of options, he's got expeirence (which counts for a lot with Fergie) and he's not an awful player, he's just not up to United standards.

Caporegime
I'll be honest about something else that bugs me, in relation to Gibson but it also applies for a lot of other players.

He's young 22/23, he's not really had a good run in the side either, it's about time and having a steady run of games in the League. Gibson has come on for an appearance here and there, had a couple of decent, some not so decent.

How long did it take the likes of Fletcher / Ronaldo / Nani to get to where they are?

Gibson's done nothing wrong for a fringe / young player, he's a squad player at best at the moment. Without a run of games in the first team I find it a little, hmm, odd that people are so critical of him. Anderson can have a blinder and then a couple of poor games, he'll not get a run, they'll come here and there and yet he's clearly a very good young player.

Edit, was it not Fletcher who didn't manage to get in to the United team as a regular until he was mid 20's, a few years on Gibson and wasn't liked by the fans or the press up until then and look at him now, he's an important and big cog in the United side.

Soldato
I do vaguely remember how *unbelievably* bad Fletcher used to be. Whether Gibson can develop as much as him, as late, will be interesting but I am definately on the 'he's ****ing useless* bandwagon at the moment.

Caporegime
Gibson doesn't display any of the basic skills though, and to make it even worse his work rate is poor. At least someone like Park who doesn't have the technical skills of our big players makes up for it by working his socks off every minute he's on the pitch.

Caporegime
Lots of players don't develope until they've had a good run in the side and are a bit older then him, it's not big deal as the same thing happened to Fletcher and United fans defend him to the hilt these days.

Caporegime
Gibson doesn't display any of the basic skills though, and to make it even worse his work rate is poor. At least someone like Park who doesn't have the technical skills of our big players makes up for it by working his socks off every minute he's on the pitch.

Same was said about Fletcher.

Man of Honour
OP
The thing is players like Nani/Ronaldo you could see they had something (now to be fair with "flair" players, wingers etc it is arguably easier get noticed). Fletcher impressed me when I first saw him (playing rightwing iirc), then everyone hated him, now he's flavour of the month (especially for big games), personally I don't think he's great but he does more than Gibson.

As for lack of options I look at it and think, in central midfield MU have got the option to play:

Giggs
Scholes
Fletcher
Park
Carrick
Anderson
Hargreaves [OK so 'option to play' is maybe being a bit generous here...]

IMO all of them are better than Gibson, although perhaps the jury is still out on Anderson. Cleverley looks better, and I don't know what else they might have waiting in the wings in terms of reserve/youth setup. I don't see it as lack of options, on Saturday he had Giggs (who replaced him as sub) and Carrick. OK so there is a european game in midweek, maybe he was resting players. But even so I'd rather shift Park inside and play the likes of Obertan than have Gibson clogging up the team.

Caporegime
True but let's face it Fletcher is a bit of an anomaly (and even now a lot of people still don't think he's good enough)

I'm not sure why your saying he hasn't had chances, 41 appearances in the last two seasons is a pretty high amount of chances. 23 is just not that young any more, players are generally maturing a lot younger. He's played 2/3 seasons of football at United and then the season before that on loan at Wolves.

He would have to develop quite amazingly to be United quality. He's not a particularly good passer, he's not very quick, he's not a great tackler. Let's face it the only reason he is in the side at all is because of his "goal threat"

He's got a career at another EPL club I'm sure, but I just don't see it being United. How many more chances can we give him before it starts to affect the club?

Caporegime
The thing is players like Nani/Ronaldo you could see they had something (now to be fair with "flair" players, wingers etc it is arguably easier get noticed). Fletcher impressed me when I first saw him (playing rightwing iirc), then everyone hated him, now he's flavour of the month (especially for big games), personally I don't think he's great but he does more than Gibson.

As for lack of options I look at it and think, in central midfield MU have got the option to play:

Giggs
Scholes
Fletcher
Park
Carrick
Anderson
Hargreaves [OK so 'option to play' is maybe being a bit generous here...]

IMO all of them are better than Gibson, although perhaps the jury is still out on Anderson. Cleverley looks better, and I don't know what else they might have waiting in the wings in terms of reserve/youth setup. I don't see it as lack of options, on Saturday he had Giggs (who replaced him as sub) and Carrick. OK so there is a european game in midweek, maybe he was resting players. But even so I'd rather shift Park inside and play the likes of Obertan than have Gibson clogging up the team.

I'm sure this was mentioned earlier, but few of those were out injured and Fergie clearly set some out to rest. So it was understandable to see Gibson start, solid and has a bit of exp over a younger player and then you can bring someone else on to change the tempo at the end, which he did.

Cleverley is a wide player isn't he? well a much more attacking midfielder, Gibson is more of a sit in the middle and attempt square balls with the odd shot.

OBiWan looks well off the pace in regards to physical fittness and size. I'm not saying Gibson is the future, nor that's he's some great back up. It just seems he's used as a scape goat for the below par season so far. I don't think it's fair. He's not had much chance to have a run of games and show what he could do, or couldn't do.

He's had nothing more then the odd start over 2/3 seasons either, not a solid run of games iirc. Hopefully United will have a good clear out and a good preseason so people can see the fringe players get more time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I dunno maybe I have the wrong attitude but I look at a team like MU and think they shouldn't be giving people too much of a chance to prove themselves, after 50 games if they aren't delivering the goods then a club of that stature should be looking elsewhere. Real quality like Ronaldo (maybe even Hernandez) would grab the opportunity and have forced themselves to get more than just "the odd start" (unless of course there was a lot of superior players in the pecking order). The easy retort would be to say "hahaha you'll never win anything with kids eh lolol!!" but of course the difference is that the 'kids' at MU 15 years ago delivered far more than Gibson has by the age of 23.

Also not looking to start a debate on a minor issue but you talk about Gibson having "experience" but then say he's not really had a chance, surely if he's never got a proper look-in at MU he can't be THAT experienced, OK so a bit of international football but even so at 23 he is not magically going to become a vastly improved player overnight just by giving him some games here and there.

The issue I have really is that I don't see Gibson being good enough to even be a squad player, in my book there comes a point when players - if they really are all that, if they really are good enough to be playing for a club challenging for the biggest honours in the game - need to have taken what opportunities, however limited, have been given to them. And that's nothing I would direct at Gibson specifically; Bendtner at Arsenal is a good example, because he's not a starter (and rightly so, given his ability) it is all to easy for people to say "yeah yeah, Bendtner never gets to start a run of games in his best position, boo hoo hoo, he's a great player but never gets the chance to prove it, man didn't you see that absolute peach he scored the other day [playing up front for Arsenal you get chances, and even average players can put a few away], and don't forget that hattrick in the Carling cup!!!", yet when you look at the stats of how many minutes he's had it's quite a lot, and then think of all the chances he's missed, it's obvious he is never going to be a true great of the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom