Other than Chief Goalkick Generator....

Caporegime
He's just got far more exp then another youngster, Norwood was mentioned for example. Would Fergie trust him against Everton in a match that he has to win?

I agree, Gibson has had games to prove himself and force himself in to the team, he's not done this, but he's not had a "run" of games to get settled in to a team.

He's not the most talented player United have produced thats for sure, but he's certainly not the worst, it feels like he's been used as a scape goat for sub par performances this season, when in truth very few United players have been at their best.

Gibson, is one of many players I think United could happily ship out in the summer, Then again, many people have said that about many players at United and they're still there.

Man of Honour
OP
My 25 man MU squad, no place for Gibson (obviously due to rules about youngsters as we all know it is far more than 25 for the EPL, but point I'm making is that he wouldn't be in my 25):

VDS
Kuszchak
Linderthingy

Ferdinand
Vidic
Smalling
Brown
Evra
Fabio
Rafael
O'Shea
Evans

Giggs
Park
Nani
Valencia
Scholes
Carrick
Fletcher
Hargreaves/Obertan (depending on fitness)
Anderson

Rooney
Owen
Berbatov
Hernandez

Don
Gibson's inclusion in Utd's squad is an odd one. On one hand he's clearly not good enough to ever hold down a regular spot in Utd's side but on the other hand it's useful having that extra body in your squad in case of an emergency. You're never going to have (and keep happy) a better player than Gibson as your 7th or 8th choice CM. The challenge is then keeping him happy while playing him as sparingly as possible.

Regarding him playing at the weekend specifically, with Hargreaves and Fletcher injured and Scholes suspended that only left Anderson who played, Carrick and Giggs who were being rested for Tuesday (I don't think Park can play CM as part of a 4-4-2) so I don't see what the issue is with him playing.

Having home grown players that are happy being bit part players comes in handy. If Utd didn't have Gibson they wouldn't replace him with a better player, they'd just have 1 less CM. I can see us doing something very similar with Spearing next season.

Soldato
Gotta say, totally onboard with the traitor comment. I'm sick of players from the North deciding they want to play for the Republic.

What I'm now most concerned about is that Ferguson will try and 'make a point' to show he has faith in Gibbo, and play him in an important match instead of someone better. That would really be a bad move.

In response to Tummy's 'but he's only young' post, I'd say two things. First up, unfortunately now in modern football you're expected to play perfectly on your debut and get better from there. At Man Utd the pressure to do this is even greater. Think of Rooney's debut (Champion's League hattrick) and the amount of goals Chico has scored this season as a new/fringe player. We aren't an easy club to debut for.

Secondly, my main complaint is his work rate. When he makes a bad pass, he doesn't try and put pressure on to get it back - that's something both Anderson and Fletcher have always done. I want all our young players to show the same dedication and work rate for Utd right from the off. I'm far more likely to put up with a cack performance if they at least look like they will do whatever it takes to wear the badge.

Permabanned
Regarding him playing at the weekend specifically, with Hargreaves and Fletcher injured and Scholes suspended that only left Anderson who played, Carrick and Giggs who were being rested for Tuesday (I don't think Park can play CM as part of a 4-4-2) so I don't see what the issue is with him playing.

I did say this way, way back in the thread but people don't listen too me :/

Caporegime
In response to Tummy's 'but he's only young' post, I'd say two things. First up, unfortunately now in modern football you're expected to play perfectly on your debut and get better from there. At Man Utd the pressure to do this is even greater. Think of Rooney's debut (Champion's League hattrick) and the amount of goals Chico has scored this season as a new/fringe player. We aren't an easy club to debut for.

To counter that, Fletcher. He was shocking when he was younger, Fergie stuck with him and he's turned in to an important player now.

Soldato
To counter that, Fletcher. He was shocking when he was younger, Fergie stuck with him and he's turned in to an important player now.

I would argue when Fletcher came through things were a bit less pressure cooker than they are now. Look at how quickly managers get sacked now versus a few years ago. I wish young players still got the chance to bed in, but these days they don't seem to.

Caporegime
Fergie's never going to be sacked. Pressure cooker? United are challenging for everything as they have done for a very long time? Pressure is no different now.

Soldato
Secondly, my main complaint is his work rate. When he makes a bad pass, he doesn't try and put pressure on to get it back - that's something both Anderson and Fletcher have always done. I want all our young players to show the same dedication and work rate for Utd right from the off. I'm far more likely to put up with a cack performance if they at least look like they will do whatever it takes to wear the badge.

That's the point I've always made about his play, he doesn't display the workrate to make up for his lack of other talents.

Man of Honour
OP
So I was sat eating my lunch today and got to wondering, what ever happened to this waste of a shirt other than a few controversial drinking incidents when he was at Sunderland. I remembered making this thread a while back and thought it was due an update on how he's getting on, so I looked him up.

Salford City. I rest my case.

Back
Top Bottom