Our Fostering Journey - Continued

Permabanned
Good Luck. I did this a few years ago, and remember the Form F and 'The Panel'.

It was difficult to say the least.

The first child we had was a young girl of 14 who swore blind she was in the Army with her dad (she was a Sergeant Major), and she had got shot, and pulled army men out tanks that had blown up and stuff.

We only had her for a weekend, and it was incredibly hard to deal with. The lies were shocking and you couldnt reason with her.

If I was to do it again, it would probably be with a younger (as in toddler / baby age) child.

The pay was a bonus (don't know if you are getting paid), and meant that we didnt need jobs too, although that is no reason for choosing Fostering.

Hope it goes ok.

Man of Honour
OP
We were held in front of 10 independent advisors who took 2 hours to look at our application.

It turns out that all though we would make great foster parents, the following points were an issue to them:

1. They think that i'm too commited to my work and this would not be in the best interests of the child..

2. That my work will not give a reference because they feel it's a conflict of interests.

3. They feel my son needs a little more time to settle as he is at an important stage of his behaviour development.

So their recomendation is no, not yet.

I'm puzzled by the whole outcome tbh. In a way I'm glad it's just the above reasons and nothing more personal or serious as that would have been quite upsetting.

As it is, my opinion is that it's their loss. We have a good home, a spare bedroom and we've volunteered to accept any child into our home and family.

As for the work thing, I've always put my family before work and any child in our care would most certainly be part of our family. I fail to see why this is an issue when they accept single parent Foster Parents.

They have a point with my son but then every day is a challange with him. The same as it would be for any child we look after that has behaviour problems.

Many thanks for all your good wishes. It was good to hear from some of you who have been involved in Fostering at some point in ther lifes. Makes it more of a reality when you hear "real" stories.

Once again, many thanks
:)

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
not for a few more years yet.

I guess it's important that you show them that you're doing it for the right reasons and not rushing into it or wanting it "too much". If in a couple of years you're still interested it will show that you're very serious about it and committed to making it happen.

Associate
PeterNem said:
I guess it's important that you show them that you're doing it for the right reasons and not rushing into it or wanting it "too much". If in a couple of years you're still interested it will show that you're very serious about it and committed to making it happen.

Very true :)

Man of Honour
OP
absolutley. By then we'll have moved our goal posts and we'll have the experience of dealing with older children which we feel was what they wanted anyway. I'm a little annoyed at the social worker as she should have picked up on these points in the 9 months of the application process.

Ho-Hum

Soldato
It's their loss Paul

Huggies.gif

Soldato
Dont give up mate, My mother in law fosters and it took her nearly 10 years before they said yes you can! Dont become down hartened and sad that you havent made it but work harder to getting what you want, its the only way.

I hope it all works out for you and it all comes together you just have to wait some times. Chin up and it will happen soon.

Back
Top Bottom