Our Fostering Journey - Continued

Associate
Hi,

sorry to hear to you didn't get the "yes" keep your chin up.

We to are going through the fostering process, but we are taking a bit longer due to having a baby halfway through the process. Taking some time out, till the baby is settled in.

We are hoping to foster teenagers 12-18, emergency / weekends / rest bite and if we get on and cope ok will be looking to move and foster 3 teenagers.

Have worked with teenagers quite a lot and i find it very challanging at time's but VERY rewarding as well.

May be worth your while seeing if there are any local organisations looking for workers, to give you some more experiance.

I use to do volintary work for Young Peoples Support Scheme, it was very rewarding and helped me gain more experiance. The scheme ran to help young carers and also "problem" teens.

All the best to you for the future, cheers

Deano

Associate
Violent-J said:
My uncle always has 2 foster kids living with them at a time, he makes about 2gs a month from it iirc, good money :)
my parents foster a 3 year old girl and they receive £114 per week, this is to cover costs such as nappies, food, toys etc...it is only when a child has behaviour difficulties does the pay shoot up to some £300, but still I think the money is crap for fostering. Now my parents dont do it for the money (and i also know the money they do receive goes mostly on the girl) but i still think that for the amount of work they put into looking after children they should be better rewarded.

p.s. that is for short term fostering for the state, contract fostering is another matter however.

In regards to the OP, it would seem from your original post that they indeed are missing out on some great foster parents, dont give up mate as i know there are a hell of a lot of kids need looking after!

Man of Honour
OP
**UPDATE***

Well would you "Adam and Eve" it?

The panel made their recommendation of "NO" to the director who has the final say and he has overturned the decision ..

He called me late yesterday and told me this is only the second time in his 20 years in his job that he has done this, so we feel quite honored.

So, we are now registered Foster Parents \0/!!

Evidently, he thought my job was irrelevant and that our experience with children (Teresa has an 'ology in Childcare) was a crucial benefit.

There was a compromise though, that we only do respite for the next year. That suits us as it enables us to gain some experience and make a few changes (possibly moving). All the time our own kids are growing then we gain valuable knowledge on dealing with teenagers. We can also determine if fostering is really for us.

The director also told me he liked my sons story the other day of me dressing up as a woman at a recent fancy - dress.. maybe that "swung" it for him - excuse the expression . Kids huh !!

Last edited:
Soldato
Happy dance!

Yahoo.gif

Congrats!

Soldato
Fantastic news. I bet the last day or so have been a bit of a rollercoaster emotionally, but it's good to see it ended well and that you'll be able to be of benefit to other people in need.

Soldato
Huddy, nice to see your progress. Hopefully time will fly and you'll be fostering, good luck :D

I have a question, in regardes of Adoption, the age to find out about your genetic parents is 18, no?

How would someone go about doing that, would they need to go to an Adoption agency and give in there details?

Because I was thinking about it, but I don't really know anything about my genetics. :\ :confused:

Associate
Congratulations!

Have to admit these threads have been a very interesting read, would be nice if you could keep them up with your experiences when you start fostering :)

All the best!

Caporegime
Result Huddy, congrats to you and your missus:D. Its great to see that there are people like you out there in the world willing to take on a foster child...not many would tbh.

Anyways congrats mate and hope it all goes well for you now on in:).

Soldato
Congratulations to both you and your wife. I'm sure it will be hard at times but also very rewarding. You will make a lot of difference to many childrens lifes and to be honest, there isn't many people willing to do that in this day and age. I can tell that you are both very persistant as shown through that rigerous registration procedure and this will help you greatly. I wish you and your family the very best of luck. Keep us posted! :)

Matt

Man of Honour
OP
many thanks for all your good wishes :)

We have a date scheduled for the 7th August for the placement officer and the director to come round and have a chat as to what happens now.

Will keep posting the progress over the nest few months.

;)

Back
Top Bottom