1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our long distance wireless testing... 1.2KM wifi ;)

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by FrenchTart, 16 Jul 2006.

1. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

Just thought I'd post up with the results from the "wokfi" test we ran yesterday as when we announced we were going to use something similar for our LAN event, some people were a little skeptical :)

Basically, we built two "wokfi" dishes (as shown here), mounted one in the back window of my friend's house (facing over a valley) and drove round to the other side to see what we could find...

Picture of the view from our connection point, with a circle showing the house

Getting out of the car and firing up the laptop was about as long as it took to pick up the signal - full 11Mb/s at ~1.2KM distance ;)

We even managed to use my friend's PDA (with it's inbuilt antenna) to pick up the connection.

The plan now is to setup a link to the TA centre we're running the LAN at and see if we can get better results with 802.11g. The distance involved is a fair bit less (800m) but the interference is probably going to be a bit higher. Should be very interesting :)

2. V For Vendetta

Gangster

that ownz :cool:

3. hybrid

Wise Guy

wow, thats one hell of a good range!!

Nice one!! That would be quite interesting down here as im in a valley with poor connectivity.

4. [email protected]

Hitman

Very good!!! 11Mbps from that distance is not bad at all!

5. AtreuS

Soldato

lol do they still have that nutter guard on the doors at the TA center? when i used to goto the L4G lans he was a right git all the time.... always moaning about having to open the gates and stuff. In the end we moved elsewhere... mainly because of him!

Its quite a cool venue though as your stuff is certainly safe behind all that razorwire!

6. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

We're being given our own set of keys for the event and will have a system in place so that the security guard isn't bothered by people coming and going at all... hopefully he won't be odd about things :)

I've heard about l4g's experiences at the venue...sounded like a whole load of fun :)

7. AtreuS

Soldato

Dont get me wrong we had 3 or 4 really good lans there.... it was just the hitler guard that was bad hehehehe.

The guy who organises L4G changed jobs and couldnt spend enough time organising so we moved to a smaller venue in Bramhall. Not that i ever have time to go to any!

8. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

I guess we'll see how things turn out. The venue seems really great for the price and it's located about 3 mins drive from my house, so that's handy :)

Less than 4 weeks to go until our first LAN now..things are really going to get insanely hectic soon...

9. mattreay

Associate

nice work Aekeron. What is your latency like?

10. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

We tested it via command-line pings (linux at one end, winxp at the other) and they held steady at about 1-1.7 msec, though there was the odd spike to 5 or so (quite rare).

Sadly I didn't have time to get all the testing done that I'd have liked but in the next few weeks we'll be building a much more permenant setup so I should have more data at that point :)

11. mattreay

Associate

very impressive indeed. Keep us posted Aekeron

12. Chris1712

Sgarrista

Wow pretty impressive, any pics of the antennae you made up?

13. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

I'll get some up tomorrow or the day after :) i'm not at my house at the mo and I'm also relying on the mercy of my internet activation date not slipping.

14. Jimathy

Hitman

A mate managed to get 3mbps over 8.5km a couple of years back using two 24dB parabolica aerials (like sat dishes).

Since then we've setup a mesh network around our town and now share a single eclipse option4 connection between 5 of us. We're using wrt54g's as the routers (with dd-wrt firmware) and we have a mixture of 10-16dB directional panels and some omni antennas.

The wireless connections are stable and fast enough to have 3 or 4 people playing bf2 around 300 metres away from the main gateway.

15. daveyp

PermaBanned

Yeah you can buy kits which allow you to recieve at 5 miles max

16. bledd

Don

the last post was over 2 years ago daveyp..!

good read though :)

17. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

It's a shame we never got to use this at the LAN itself. I'm planning on playing with some yagis sometime soon...it's just getting the time to do so :)

18. Datamonkey

Soldato

lol i was reading that, and didnt even realise it was a blast from the past lol

:D good to see your still around lol.

19. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

...for the time being at least :p

20. GarethDW

Mobster

Holy Thread Revival, Batman!!!