Our long distance wireless testing... 1.2KM wifi ;)

Associate
This is a very interesting thread. I have just been looking at websites for "Wokfi" :D

I think im going to give this a try myself sometime soon, seeing as i have such a poor Wifi signal up in my room.

Associate
If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask away as I check this forum quite regularly whilst at work :)

Thanks Aekeron, i will keep that in mind. Sounds an interesting idea. Never thought of it before, and if you are receiving a signal at that sort of distance, then im sure it will do work to help my poor signal up here if i was to move my router downstairs to the main bt phone socket.

Soldato
Just thinking that I have a satellite dish sitting here doing nothing as my building has a communal one. I bet that would be perfect for this sort of thing, after all it is designed to catch very weak signals form outer space.

Are these wokfi devices directional? How sensitive are they to the direction, i.e is a compass needed to set it up?

Man of Honour
OP
A satellite dish would probably be very good yeah, as long as it's a reasonable size one :) You'll need to remove the current antenna mounted though, as it's setup for a different wireless frequency.

The wofki dishes are quite directional. If it's a long distance (longer than my 1.2KM test), you'll probably want to use a compass...though if are happy to play with the mounting, you can just run net stumbler and move the dish around until you find the best signal quality.

Soldato
do you think I would be able to find someone to install a couple of hi-gain antennas for me - I don't know if this is something you can get arial/satelite installation companies to do or not!!!

Also, what other stuff would I need? I take it I would need some kind of receiving equipment on the other end - can you buy access points?

Last edited:
Soldato
Impressive for a home made piece of equipment! It's quite astonishing the distances that can be achieved at relatively high data rates, had a play with one of these before!

aironet_clip_image009_0003.jpg

21 dBi, 26.49 miles @ 2Mbps, 20.1 miles @ 11Mbps ;)

Back
Top Bottom