1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out door tap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coxmattycox, 8 Jun 2010.

1. coxmattycox

Gangster

Hi all,

Has anyone any experiance with out door taps.

Looking at getting it done for my dad as he currently has to use the tap sink which is a pain.

Couple of questions, are they connected to a pipe running to the house or run from inside the kitchen pipes?

Also, how do pressure washers work. Currently if we have our tap on.. the waters on, its flowing you cant stop it. Yet pressure washers have the ability to stop/start. How does that work? Do you require a higher installation for this rather than a simple on/off valve?

Thanks all

2. lookitsjonno

Mobster

they just connect directly into your mains water. just a simple on off valve is fine, just make sure you get a decent connectors with a good seal e.g hoselock.

3. PhillyDee

Capodecina

Pressure washers have electrically operated valves in them.

An outdoor tap is easily fitted with one of the kits. It breaks into your supply with a self cutting valve. Poke it out a hole in the wall and attach to wall.

4. DavidMarq

Wise Guy

For a new installation the water regulations require that you fit a category III, back flow preventer on the internal pipework. A Double Check Valve should be fitted between the isolation valve and the tap.

5. Fourstar

Wise Guy

Are you saying the double check valve satisfies "category III, back flow preventer" requirements or are we talking a separate fitting?

6. Cosimo

Man of Honour

We’ve got an outdoor tap running from the kitchen (mains) with a non return valve and an isolator tap on the inside fitted to it. The watering system, hose and anything else you want to connect runs off it. It was a DIY job.

7. DavidMarq

Wise Guy

The Double Check Valve is a cat III back flow preventer.

Single Check Valve = Cat II
    Double Check Valve = Cat III
    Type BA device (RPZ Valve) = Cat IV
    Type AUK1 device (Toilet & Cistern) = Cat V
    Break Tank (with cat V air gap) = Cat V

8. coxmattycox

Gangster

Thanks for everyones comments. I'll do some calling around today. I now have some *technical* sayings and at least look like I know what I'm talking about now.

Thanks

9. DavidMarq

Wise Guy

Just as a guide and as you can see the domestic garden hose which is the most common use for an outside tap falls into Cat III. If however you happen to be a serial killer and plan to use the hose to wash down after cutting up human remains, then you would be advised to install Cat V protection so as to be compliant with the regulations. ;)

10. Greebo

Caporegime

Came to thread excpecting a story from the OP about pulling a hot chick in the sunshine. Leaves disappointed...........:(

11. Shotgun_ned

Hitman

I thought the title said out door trap, and got confused when he said he wanted one for his dad :confused:.