1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

outsourcing to India your views

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by crashuk, 24 Jan 2006.

1. crashuk

PermaBanned

886 jobs in the UK could be axed after BT awarded a major broadband tech support contract to an outsourcing firm in India.

colt 15 per cent of its workforce will be based in India.

Pearl Group transferred to Tata deal valued at £486m over the next 12 years, India-based business process.

wannadoo isp moving its IT department to india.

The list goes on, what will happen in britain in the future, what do you thing the goverment should do to help with this problem. dont you think companies have a social responsability.

2. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

I think BT should be shot for lying to us about the price of supposedly expensive international calls...

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

Why should it be the government or the companies that are responsible?

In a market economy, is it not consumers who have the power to choose where they spend their money? I personally try to avoid companies who outsource in this way where it's possible and practical. It's ultimately the "Cheaper cheaper" consumer who has caused this.

It's all down to money at the end of the day, if we constantly demand cheaper prices, then companies will move to provide one way or another. Unfortunately too many people are too short sighted to see this.

4. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Companies have an economic responsibility, how can you sell to customers in the UK if there is no work for them to do?

But by and large the jobs being outsourced are low value creating jobs so as long as we are creating enough value elsewhere to balance the the outsourcing it may be an efficiency improvement. For instance the Economist argued that by outsourcing IT support of patient records to India the NHS could cut costs and divert money to value adding tasks like healing people rather than wasting money on more featherbedded public sector bureaucratic jobs.

Anyway its not like the Chinese or Indians can sell us anything if we have no money so a balance must form somehow.

5. dokko

Mobster

I think the Government need to ban Foriegn call centres, simple as.

Make it so its the bloody expensive to call abroad the cheap labour doesn't benefit.

Hate them to be very very nice about it.

I hope BT and the rest of them go bust through poor customer service as you cannot understand a word they say.

Would help if half of them could hold a conversation in English, but they can't, and just repeat what there given off a sheet of paper, highly annoying.

6. crashuk

PermaBanned

ok your saying that its the low value well got news for you medium to high value jobs are to find its way to india. what about programmers, IT support, low value jobs create high value jobs they both go hand in hand.

7. Meridian

Man of Honour

Then change companies. To the best of my knowledge there is NO business where EVERY call centre is in India (or any where abroad). Move your business elsewhere, and make sure you tell the company you that are leaving, why you are doing it. But this is capatilism in action, and nothing at all to do with the government. If the government did ban foreign call centres then UK companies would just raise all their prices and blame it on the new law.

M

8. crashuk

PermaBanned

an argument if low valued jobs are beening outscourced then money is being taken out of the country, not only that those jobs would have paid uk taxes on top. so if you look at it its a lose lose situation.

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

Depends. Some companies only outsource things they would like to have no human intervention at all if they could. The company I work for takes that stance over certain jobs.

If the only reason you can't use automation is that the customers don't get it, then moving those specific jobs to india to save money is the next step up in many ways.

Doesn't mean I approve of it, just that I can see the business case for it.

10. crashuk

PermaBanned

well i dont have a bt line anymore , i refuse to talk to a call centre based in india, when they phone me up my responce is " sorry i dont wish too purchase your services because you have outsourced uk jobs too other countries"

11. V-Spec

Mobster

I'm not that anal about where the call centre is, neither do I care much whether its taken someone elses jobs or something else, what does annoy me is the obvious language problems you get with foreign call centres, in the past i've been connected to a foreign call centre and its been almost impossible to hold a conversation, very frustrating and very unprofessional service.

12. crashuk

PermaBanned

v spec that is just the start, once they start to move low level jobs higher level jobs follow, soon your jobs will be outscourced, ok lets say your a trader its much cheaper for a trading house to open shop in india, once the communcation stucture is at a high level what stops them from transfering those jobs to india, administratration tasks can be transfered, for example the phone books bt sends out every year has no been outscourced to spain but the design part has been outscourced to india. britain has became a service industry in the late 90s now that service industry is moving to india. what do you think will happen to the uk? it will effect you because in order to keep the welfare state taxs have to rise theres even talk about rasing taxes too 25 % to cope, the country is getting in to debt this effect you me and everyone in the country.

13. v0n

Sgarrista

I don't think you lot see the bigger picture.
    Staff in Indian call centre is (at least in theory) capable of communicating in plain English. They can also provide service in native language to quite large but extremely active and fairly wealthy ethnic minority which is in most cases misunderstood and badly handled by British call centres. Foreign service might pee off Vicky from Midlands and her very nervous cockney rhyming hubby, but that's not where the money is. Just like larger electronic stores in Germany will make sure they have at least one Arabic, Polish and Russian speaking member of staff on weekend duty and US department stores will always have hispanic assistants handy - more and more UK firms will now have staff that can communicate effectively with commercially relevant part of customer base.
    Especially if foreign call centre can be cheaper and do dirty and banned work in one go too (cold calling, spam, sales pitching and the like)...

In todays politically correct times outsourcing is win win situation that will probably get few people OBE.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2006
  14. crashuk

PermaBanned

your not looking at the bigger picture your just thinking oh its just call centers well mate its not just that, if you look the price of land or rental in india is cheap, now buy a building link call centers with the administration department (cost of hiring is much lower) link the administration department to a smaller office in the uk via the net with 10-20 workers that prints and send the mail. there goes 1000 workers in the uk saving 60-70 % in wages thus more profit. (example some airline companies are starting to use this method to lower costs, tickets and processing is beening done in india for *** fraction of the cost) how long before other companies start to see the cost savings i this?

Last edited: 25 Jan 2006
  15. nero120

Soldato

Doesnt bother me, if you don't like it then don't use their products/services. Besides, I can't understand the people in the goerdie call centers, so Im screwed either way.

16. v0n

Sgarrista

Well, on financial grounds it happens everywhere. There is someone in Japan sitting on their OCJP board and complaining Nissan and Toyota outsourced their production to UK. 1000's of jap jobbies gone just so they don't have to pay EU import taxes and loose on shipping. It's the Yankie coca cola mixed in Holland. It's the Cobra indian beer brewed in midlands, IKEA tables made in Poland and dutch tomatoes from Portugal. And even British army fighting american war. It happens everywhere. If any cost can be shaved, sooner or later someone will make everything to keep shareholders happy.

17. neil3k

Soldato

Excuse us for having amazing accents, and yes i agree i can't understand what Indian call operators are saying either.

18. gib786

Banned

it annoys me big time when i ring up hsbc, but the wierd thing its the name that annoys me the most "hello this is (insert english name here) how may i help you" when its obvious that they aint called that.
    Im pakistani and can understand what they say even with the heavy accent but it does get annoying when they have no clue what you are on about or can't understand simple english, but then again i have the same prob with ntl, an they have uk based call centres

19. crashuk

PermaBanned

but thats manifacturing not services, we dont have a manifacturing industry anymore, we rely on Services (administration management etc..) once that goes what is left? nothing

20. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

I think its because people are generally expected to be nice. If that is accepted, situations turn into a complex balanced of being nice versus profit/loss or being nice versus supply and demand...

Also, the central illusion of authority is that someone is responsible, some solid oragnisation or person is responsible and accountable for every non-physcial aspect of society...