Overclocking 3900 non x variant

Associate
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to OC overall so not sure if what i'm doing is okay. As stated above i bought a oem bundle as it was way cheaper that anything else i could find for the 3900x.

So i took the plunge and bought this CPU as part of a mobo/ram bundle and im really impressed with it so far the only problem is as far as i can tell there is very little info on this chip after trying to get some comparison data.

for those that dont know the difference the 3900 has a slightly lower overall clock speed and has a power limiter.

All OC was done in Ryzen master as I read about issues with my mobo OC.

Anyway i really wasn't happy with the tempts the PBO was putting out under general gaming load which could tip 80c and under stress testing it got 85c before i stopped (this is with 4.4ghz single core boost with 4.1 all core and used up to 1.425V might be a tad misleading due to how pbo works).

so going to post my results and want to know if anyone can suggest some improvements.

4.3ghz all core with max temp at 70c at 1.2V

4.4ghz all core with max temp at 70c at 1.268v

4.5ghz is proving tricky, manged to do 6 cores 4.5ghz 6 cores at 4.4ghz but this was taking 1.325v (might push further as it still only just a tad unstable and try shifting the heat around the die to keep temps cooler)

Did try just a single core oc and got 4.6ghz but that got toasty pretty quick and would have to disable other cores to get that to run fine i think.

any ideas or anyone else got results they have from trying to push this chip?

These figures seem to good to be true so I assume something I'm doing may be wrong or dangerous since my max single core pbo boost was 4.45ghz.

thanks

Associate
Hi, Ryzen's are strange with voltage. Sometimes all appears to be well, you run a stress test and it's all stable. However, when you benchmark you find your scores are considerably lower.

What are you stress testing with and have you validated the OC's with a benchmark score?

Back
Top Bottom