1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking CPU reduces the RAM? Some help please

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MickeyBlue617, 5 Mar 2010.

1. MickeyBlue617

Associate

Afternoon all,

I put a post under 'general hardware' earlier in the week thinking I possibly had a faulty component. Having now ruled this out, I’ve seen what is causing the problem, but want to know if anyone has any recommendations / suggestions to get around this. ...or have i made a completley obvious mistake!!

PC build:
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
    OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (OCZ3G1600LV6GK).
    Windows 7 64 bit.
    F10 bios on the MB.

I’m a complete novice at overclocking, have been using the guide on these forums... though it is going over my head a bit.

I have manually changed the ram settings to 8-8-8-24 @ 1.64v, and left everything else on 'auto', but it only runs at 1044mhz (from memory- not on my pc at the moment), not the 1600mhz it states it can be run at.

if I leave the CPU at stock values (2ghz, not sure on the voltage - think it was around 1.2v at 'auto') then my system sees the full available ram in the front screen splash, the bios, and in windows>system.

However, if I then overclock the CPU, even by .5ghz, I loose 2gb of the available ram. (Have been able to overclock the CPU to a stable 3.8ghz, and also got it up to 4ghz @ 48c idle temp)

The front splash screen and bios shows only 4gb (but as a 6 digit figure) and windows>system shows 6gb ram (4gb available).

I have overclocked the CPU manually and with the gigabyte EasyTune6 application and I still loose 2gb of ram.

I have used the recommended applications CPUID and the other relevant ones from the same site, and the dxdiag, msconfig, and msinfo32 and I can not see that the system is allocating the 2gb anywhere it shouldn't.

I’ve seen similar posts across the forums but can not see that there has been a resolve.

Does anyone have any other solutions/suggestions?

If you need any screen prints / exact figures please let me know and I will submit them to help as soon as i can.

Many thanks