Overclocking help Q9550

Associate
Hey,

Just started overclocking my Q9550 and I was able to get it stable at 2.95GHz at a FSB of 1393. I cant get any more out of it, anything more that 1400 FSB kills it just wont boot and crashes.

Mobo: Asus striker Formula ii

Vcore: 1.2375v

Running unlinked

Ram: 800mhz (OCZ reaper seriers pc-6400)

Multiplier: x8.5

Last edited:
Associate
Give us a cpu-z screenshot of your current overclock (CPU + Memory tab), 3.4 GHz should be a breeze with your ram and current vcore.

Associate
OP
Give us a cpu-z screenshot of your current overclock (CPU + Memory tab), 3.4 GHz should be a breeze with your ram and current vcore.

memorycpuz.jpg

cpuzwj.jpg

Links:

CPU - http://img25.imageshack.us/i/cpuo.png/

Memory - http://img36.imageshack.us/i/memory2.png/

Last edited:
Associate
Also, there are memory holes that differ between boards, have you tried a higher fsb? 3.4ghz for example?

blinghound Can you please send me your settings for 4.2ghz as I have a simular setup to you and think I have some headroom on temps and voltages to get a higher clock but im struggling slightly to keep it perfectly stable at even 4ghz. My comp didn't like cold starts but was rock solid once going and now I have the almost opposite it doesn't like hot starts so takes 1 or 2 attempts but then fine :confused:

Associate
Sorry for the late reply 1uke.

I've never tried a P5Q-E, so the overclocking potential may vary of course.

I thought these settings may help exotic too, so I may as well post on here.

Because my RAM doesn't like running on the rated settings, I leave the RAM timings on auto. I also run the RAM at 940~ mhz i think it is, because I can't unlink on this mobo.

I then set the RAM voltage manually, and personally my ram is stable when I give it 0.10 more. So 2.10 instead of 2.00.

I leave all other voltages on auto, and my processor and mobo combo needs 1.35 v to get to 4ghz and 1.375 on 4.2ghz, but be careful about heat at those volts.

Set the fsb to 470 and see if it boots. If it doesn't try more vcore, but don't go above say 1.4 for testing.

Which Stepping do you guys have?

Hope this helps

Associate
You leave all nb and fsb term,cpu pll voltages etc all on auto? I would worry that my mobo would fry itself. what about enabling and disabling any things?

My stepping is: A, Revision: E0

I have 4ghz (fsb 471) pretty much stable but was worried about even trying 4.2ghz. I'm currently on 1.336v for that.

I also have a p5q-pro here and they seem pretty much the same for oc performance.

Associate
That voltage is OK for 4ghz, best revision for OCing as well. What cooling are you using?

Don't worry about frying your mobo, it's harder than you think, and your pc will shutdown anyway if it got too hot. As long as the vcore isnt above 1.4 then i think you're good, depending on temps.

I have spread spectrum disabled
TM function disabled
Speedstep disabled
Virtualization enabled (although turning off has been known to produce better stability)
all the memory (ram) overclocking enhancer settings, i leave on auto (Ive tried various settings, and it seems most stable on auto for mem OC settings).

You could try playing around with the other voltages, primarily the northbridge, fsb termination and cpu pll,

Make sure to keep northbridge under 1.5-1.6, cpu pll under 1.5 and fsb termination under 1.45

Good luck mate

Associate
OP
That voltage is OK for 4ghz, best revision for OCing as well. What cooling are you using?

Don't worry about frying your mobo, it's harder than you think, and your pc will shutdown anyway if it got too hot. As long as the vcore isnt above 1.4 then i think you're good, depending on temps.

I have spread spectrum disabled
TM function disabled
Speedstep disabled
Virtualization enabled (although turning off has been known to produce better stability)
all the memory (ram) overclocking enhancer settings, i leave on auto (Ive tried various settings, and it seems most stable on auto for mem OC settings).

You could try playing around with the other voltages, primarily the northbridge, fsb termination and cpu pll,

Make sure to keep northbridge under 1.5-1.6, cpu pll under 1.5 and fsb termination under 1.45

Good luck mate

so if i want a overclock of about 3.1-3.2GHz what voltages do you suggest?

Associate
I have now managed 4.2ghz at 1.352v and temps seem very good running prime for an hour using a corsair H50 cooler so im very happy at the moment!!

Associate
so if i want a overclock of about 3.1-3.2GHz what voltages do you suggest?

Seeing your voltages at those speeds, I would have thought <1.3 would do it, but try 1.3 on the vcore, and if it works, keep dialing it back until you cannot post, then up two notches, and you should be fine :)

and Bravo 1uke, same cooler as me ;)

hope this helps

Associate
OP
Seeing your voltages at those speeds, I would have thought <1.3 would do it, but try 1.3 on the vcore, and if it works, keep dialing it back until you cannot post, then up two notches, and you should be fine :)

and Bravo 1uke, same cooler as me ;)

hope this helps

Tried that this morning, still wont boot after bios, tried setting Vcore to 1.3 and FSB to 1440 and 1443 and still nothing, anybody got any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom