Overclocking i7 4790k

Associate
OP
Thank you folks!

I was also wondering - what are the benefits/drawbacks of using the BCLK to overclock? I can reach better core clocks using the BCLK, in that a BCLK of 100, and Core multiplier of 49 (4900MHz) requires more volts than BCLK of 104 and multiplier of 47 (4888MHz), but the results are very similar.

This also comes into play with my RAM in a similar fashion, but I'm playing it conservative with the Cache speed on the 104 BCLK, and that could be contributing to the core/ram requiring less voltage.

And so, which would be the better tradeoff here? Higher Cache Clock with slightly lower Core/RAM, or slightly higher BCLK (any direct benefits of this?), along with slightly higher core & memory clocks?

I was also wondering as to the heat generation in a CPU, in terms of overclock settings. For example, if I'm pushing the Cache, and thus give the ring more volts, how will that affect the overall heat generation in the CPU versus increasing the core voltage?

Got a bit in depth there! Thank you for any and all assistance folks :D

Thank you,

M

Last edited:
Associate
You guys are awesome!

If I end up de-lidding this thing, I'll make sure to let you know how I get on, and I'll likely at the very least take some pictures as if it all goes well I won't be opening another for some time!

So just to make sure I've got this right:
Get a kit like De8auer's - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/der8auer-delid-die-mate-2-hs-003-dr.html
Remove the IHS using the kit, and scrape away the black adhesive Intel used (using a credit card or similar), clean off the TIM using some paper towel dipped in cleaning solution/similar.
Apply nail varnish to the SMDs & let it dry for a while.
Apply a dab of LM to the die & spread with tool in kit, repeat for the underside of the IHS, apply a dab of this epoxy stuff on the corners, place the IHS down and pray... let set for an hour?
Hopefully profit from reduced temps!

Sounds simple enough, I don't believe there are any places near me that offer a de-lid service so if I want it, I gotta step up :D

Regards,

M

I delidded mine using a printed version of a delidding tool from a popular auction site was only a few £. Used it on 4790k + 8700k.

Associate
OP
I delidded mine using a printed version of a delidding tool from a popular auction site was only a few £. Used it on 4790k + 8700k.

That is definitely encouraging!

I'm guessing the main trick is applying enough pressure to break the seal, without scraping the IHS over the delicate components, the rest just needs a steady hand...

Well, I've decided... I'm gunna do it folks! Not right this moment, but I've decided it's happening thanks to your encouragment! I'll be sure to take pictures and share with you all ^_^

M

Associate
That is definitely encouraging!

I'm guessing the main trick is applying enough pressure to break the seal, without scraping the IHS over the delicate components, the rest just needs a steady hand...

Well, I've decided... I'm gunna do it folks! Not right this moment, but I've decided it's happening thanks to your encouragment! I'll be sure to take pictures and share with you all ^_^

M

That part is easy with the tool, the painful part is getting rid of the crud underneath... I have way too little patience and it's hard to believe both of mine worked fine :D

Associate
OP
Well that is good to know!

I once dropped a CPU butter side down onto the socket and got paste in all the little holes... spent roughly an hour scraping paste out of the holes and off of the pins without bending them and thankfully it worked! Made for a nerve racking hour or so though :rolleyes:

See now I have a reason for a 3D printer though...

Associate
OP
I've been looking around at De-lid tools on 'popular auction site', and there is quite the variety...

Should I avoid any of these? Mostly I'm seeing full metal De-lid tools, would that damage the chips at all? Would the 3D printed one or De8auer's kit be better for any particular reason?

Associate
Don't think it makes any odds, mine was one of the 3d printer plastic ones and was fine.

Make sure you get some thermal grizzly liquid metal & thermal paste

Associate
OP
Don't think it makes any odds, mine was one of the 3d printer plastic ones and was fine.

Make sure you get some thermal grizzly liquid metal & thermal paste

Will do, I'm going to get the following two products:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...-liquid-metal-thermal-paste-1g-th-021-tg.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...formance-thermal-paste-1-gramm-th-020-tg.html

And will reseal with this stuff:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/araldite-2-part-epoxy-adhesive-tubes-opaque-2-x-15ml/2457h

What's the general concensus on custom headspreaders such as the all copper ones? Would that make much of a difference to temperatures on top of using LM and Kryonaut?

Thank you,

M

Associate
OP
Excellent! Thank you kindly.

I'm running a Vega 56 Pulse in conjunction with this CPU, do GPUs benefit from De-lids/similar modifications? I've undervolted it but it does still get rather hot, reaching 70C and turning the PC into a bit of a radiator for the room lol

I was just thinking that, I'll likely have some material left over after doing the CPU, and I have an old GPU that I could practice on, if it's at all similar that is.

Thank you,

M

Soldato
Intel CPUs were soldered until Ivy Bridge (3000 CPU names). So if you have a 3240 or something like that, give it a try.

I tried 3D printing a delid tool but it broke. Think i set the print up wrong - I'm assuming the ones you can buy are better. Can't go wrong with metal though!

Soldato
Also just in case it's not been said - liquid metal will attack aluminium VERY fast so don't try it on your GPU unless there's no aluminium nearby at all. Best to stick to quality thermal compound. :)

Associate
OP
Thank you once again folks!

I saw Gamers' Nexus' video where he showed what happened when LM met Aluminium, and it definitely wasn't good!

I was thinking I could potentially use some of the spare Kryonaut product on the GPU if it'd be worthwhile, I've got the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 which seems like it's cooled really quite effectively, but it still runs a tad hot. I may leave that for another time though!

I do have an old 3770k I could practice on, as far as I can tell the amount of LM I'll be getting will last for around 10 applications?

M

Associate
OP
Hello again!

I've been looking into this topic a bit further, and came across thermal pads, and wanted to know the general opinion on the matter. These are the type of thermal pad I'm referring to:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thermal-grizzly-carbonaut-thermal-pad-32-32-0.2-mm-th-02h-tg.html

From reviews and tests that I've seen, the product appears to perform around 90%+ as efficient as some of the better thermal pastes, when compared to arctic MX4 (I believe). Although the pad has the added advantage of not needing to be replaced, my main point of interest was that it was also suggested that the pad is able to even out hotspots on processors, achieved via the product's much higher thermal conductivity in the XY directions, which would be great as I've found that my CPU's core #0 gets to around 12C hotter than the coolest core.

There are other benefits of course, such as there being no mess to clear up should the cooling solution be replaced/reseated, but I've never used a thermal pad before and wanted to know your opinions, and also whether there are any drawbacks I may not have considered. Although there are other benefits to the pad, it mostly piqued my interest due to the statement of evening out hotspots, but it sounds almost too good to be true.

Thank you!

M

Soldato
In my opinion, the hotspots are caused by what's going on UNDERNEATH the IHS so whatever you put on top of it won't help much. And delidding will help deal with the hot spots regardless of what you put under the IHS, so why not put the best product?

I like the idea of the carbon pads for certain uses but ordinary desktops sort of don't need them. It's quite easy to open up and replace the thermal paste in desktops as part of maintenance every year or two.

That said, I'd be interested in real world comparison of carbon pads under and on top of IHS instead of paste.

Back
Top Bottom