Overclocking the i7 920

Soldato
OP
Oh well I must have a dud as i can get this board on a stable 3.6,3.8 or 4ghz which I paid for? All I wanna know is how to send these components back! I'm really disappointed in OCUK...

If you bought a bundle, OC would have made sure it ran stable however. So I'm a bit confused as to why it doesn't work mate. Did you send them a message saying what was up etc?

Associate
One hour into Prime95 blend, and all well so far. Temps maxing around 83C. All sound good?
I get similar temps on max load, which though a bit higher than many others report are still fine. I get about 45C on idle, though that can go up to 50C as room temperature increases. All this is with a Corsair H50 cooler, as the Titan Fenrir didn't work for me - I installed it twice and both times my load temps would top 100C and crash.

My system now runs great and is completely stable, so that's all that matters to me.

Soldato
OP
Oh well I must have a dud as i can get this board on a stable 3.6,3.8 or 4ghz which I paid for? All I wanna know is how to send these components back! I'm really disappointed in OCUK...

If you bought the bundle, I know OC would have tested it to make sure it was all stable. Did you send them a message saying what was up before you started playing with it?

83c is a little hot for 4GHz but then again the volts you're using for 4Ghz are high too.

I have seen a lot of people here with 83C as max temp. Usually it was sitting around 80/81C. I need to sit and lower the volts a bit, so see how low it will go now. But that's for next week, as I won't be around my PC until Tues night at the earliest. I just wanted to try and get it to 4GHz which it does fine. After all, I'm not exactly going to be running Prime95 24/7 on it =p

Associate
Yeah, I did madindahead and they sent me 3 different profiles which I loaded and none worked, as soon as I load prime 95 it restarts the PC or freezes. All i can think is that my bundle was defective. It has never worked since I got it, I had to install vista on the default settings as it kept freezing... I'm just miffed that I paid the proffesionals to overclock a pc to 4ghz as I had no idea how to do it myself and it still doesn't work...ROFL.

The link below is for mt post on my bundle...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18056058

Associate
What?....HAHAHA....I've been building pc's for over 6 years Miker1, the temps in my case run:

cpu @ 3.4ghz - 26c
MB - 29c
NB - 35c
GPU1 - 46c
GPU2 - 42c
The heatsink is on correctly and works like a charm, it's the best part of my bundle cause it works like it should....lol

Soldato
OP
Even so, even if you have been building PCs for 6 years, doesn't mean you won't sometimes not put the heatsink on properly. We are only human after all.

Anyways. What is actually happening when your PC crashed. Does it blue screen? Does it just reboot?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is it really bad to leave the side off your PC case by the way?

My idle temps are going up 10C when I put the side of my case back on. Not good. I'm missing one fan on the side now, because the Megahalems is so tall =(

And the case is only on 3 fans now =(

Really need a new case with better air flow and cooling soon I think =(

Associate
Is it really bad to leave the side off your PC case by the way?

My idle temps are going up 10C when I put the side of my case back on. Not good. I'm missing one fan on the side now, because the Megahalems is so tall =(
There's no problem with it, but if you need to leave the side off then it tells you something's wrong with your setup. I had to do the same until I installed a new cooler but now I'm glad to have the side back on - my system's now a lot quieter and I don't have to worry about any of the pets wreaking havoc. It may be worth reversing the direction of your fans, as that helped for me.

Soldato
OP
There's no problem with it, but if you need to leave the side off then it tells you something's wrong with your setup. I had to do the same until I installed a new cooler but now I'm glad to have the side back on - my system's now a lot quieter and I don't have to worry about any of the pets wreaking havoc. It may be worth reversing the direction of your fans, as that helped for me.

Ok. Thanks mate. I will have a look at it on Wed. Currently I only have 3 case fans now though. Also, need to find out what way my Noctuas should be in to work in push-pull config. Anyone who can help with that? I night just slap my case fans to max and the CPU fans also. Was getting between 50-60C with side on at idle. Not good at all.

Associate
If you bought a bundle, OC would have made sure it ran stable however. So I'm a bit confused as to why it doesn't work mate. Did you send them a message saying what was up etc?

Hes not alone im having problems of the same nature, they replaced the lot for me and it still wont run overclocked. And their support is shocking poor, you phone them and fob you off, they tell you to post on the support section of the forum, they dont reply, send them countless webnotes and they still dont reply, I also send the management a webnote and did I get a responce I hear you say? DING DING DING... Nope!!! Disapointed would be a massive understatement.

Associate
Ok, got it sorted, currently at 3.8GHz and it's stable as stable can be, stress tested with various apps. It seems it was the RAM set to 1600MHz the ram craps out but it's at like 1520 due to the backclock or whatever it's called set to 190 it's all ok now.

Weird, but whatever, it works, will do further testing on the weekend, all in all people said it would be much of a upgrade from my Q6700 680i PC but it's already loads faster, especially in it's overclocked state.

Associate
Yeah my OC bundle doesn't run either, at the OCUK profile it freezes or restarts during windows 7 RC install. :(

I'm having the same problem with my system that arrived a couple of days ago. Selecting the OCUK profile just causes the system to reboot instantly and set itseslf back to default.

I'll try out that memory tweak, hopefully it will allow me to run @3.4 for once.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom