Overclocking?

Associate
Hello,
Im looking to overclock my pc, but dont know the info i need or how to do certain things with me setup:

Dfi lanpart NF3 250gb Mobo
Amd Athlon 64 3000+ Processor
512mb Kingston Memory
400w PSU
120gb Seagate Harddrive
80gb Maxtor Hard Drive
Windows XP

Dont know if you need anything else, maybe someone could help though.
Thanks

Associate
You're looking for someone with your specific parts, to give you the specific figures, to enter into the particular settings, so that you don't have to find out for yourself? Doesn't work that way.

You could have exactly the same hardware and end up with hugely different results and both encounter a whole raft of varying problems and glitches.

To overclock you should understand it. Read a guide. If there is something you are not sure about in a guide ask for that to be explained. Not many people who o/c rush headlong into it. They read the guides and forums and try to pick up the gist of it.

People won't refuse to help you out of malice. It's because they don't want to feel responsible if you go and kill your computer because you didn't learn for yourself.

When you have a general idea about o/clocking we'll all be glad to assist you.

daz

daz

Soldato
It's all in your BIOS settings.

You won't be able to change the multipler, as most CPUs these days are multipler locked, so you'll want to increase the FSB whilst keeping your other buses locked to their specification speeds. You'll need to increase the FSB slowly, testing for stability as you go. If the system is unstable, you may need to increase you CPU core voltage. Again, increase this slowly. A small increase in V means a large increase in your power (heat) output of the processor.

I really don't want to sound harsh (I don't mean to be :() but if you don't understand these things then perhaps you should spend a little while getting to grips with your gear as you really don't want to break your PC!

JDL

JDL

Associate
you can lock your pci/agp, change the mulitplier, HTT, HTF, Dram settings in the bios, with my asus board it is under the advanced settings.

you have to take your time with overclocking, understanding the potential of each component is key.

i used the guide and thought it excellent, however i begun overclocking in windows using a program called clockgen, this helped me undestadn how rising the HTT affects the cpu clock speed as well as others such as the memory and how there is a need to lock the PCI at 33.33 to get better stability. it also helps you to understand the need for increasing voltage and you will see further along the line that volts can be applied to the ram and NB to gain stability. it is all about finding a balance between your cpu, mobo and ram. just don't move all the sliders etc. to full your computer will not be best pleased with you!!

do you understand this:

stock speed for a 3500+ venice
200 (htt) x 11 (multiplier) = 2200Mhz (cpu speed)

if you don't understand this then i suggest you do some more research, do some forum searches, i never used to bother doing this but since using the search i have solved problems without posting, if your doing things for the first time 9/10 someone has done it before so it will be out there.
understanding terminology is important too.

i hope this is of some help (and others agree) and gets you thinking about varibles attached to overclocking

Back
Top Bottom