overclocking

Soldato
you can only change the multi down, if it were sktA then you would want to do this but not with 939.

Keep the multi at its highest (10 on your chip) and raise the HTT/LDT/FSB basically, but...

Lower the HTT multi (keeps the bus below 1000mhz), set the ram on a 166 divider (to keep the ram at DDR400ish). With regard to ram timings, always use 1T, and go for low latencies over high bandwidth

Soldato
You woun't want to be changing the CPU multi with an A64! They are locked upwards, so can only go down.

Download CPU-Z, Prime95 and SuperPi. Stress test with the second two, CPU-Z give you info on your OC.

For you ...
Here ... 21st pic :eek: ... disable cool'n'quiet and set the Ht Mutli to 4x (800MHz).
Here ... 2nd pic ... change the memclock value to 166.
... 1st pic ... Raise the CPU frequency. Stress test. If you get instability, raise the processor voltage (same pic) very slightly and test again.

If you get the CPU frequency over 250, change the HT Multi to 3x. If in CPU-Z, the memory frequency gets to 215-220 ish, lower the memclock value again.

That should be it. Enjoy :)

// EDIT // Obviously, watch the temperatures when stress testing, especially after boosting the voltage. Lower the OC if things are getting too hot.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A.N.Other said:
You woun't want to be changing the CPU multi with an A64! They are locked upwards, so can only go down.

Download CPU-Z, Prime95 and SuperPi. Stress test with the second two, CPU-Z give you info on your OC.

For you ...
Here ... 21st pic :eek: ... disable cool'n'quiet and set the Ht Mutli to 4x (800MHz).
... 1st pic ... Raise the CPU frequency. Stress test. If you get instability, raise the processor voltage (same pic) very slightly and test again.

If you get the CPU frequency over 250, change the HT Multi to 3x. If in CPU-Z, the memory frequency gets to 215-220 ish, lower the memclock value again.

// EDIT // Obviously, watch the temperatures when stress testing, especially after boosting the voltage. Lower the OC if things are getting too hot.

thanks m8 i will do that as soon as i get my mobo back
thanks again :D

Associate
OP
btw i know this has nothing to do with what we're talking about but how do you make one fan blow air out of the case and the other to suck it in? do you simply screw them on to the case in different ways around? and last question is two case fans, a fan in the power supply and a fan on the cpu enough cooling? (p.s the fan on the cpu is standard so is the fan in the power suply and this is what case fans i have brought "YS-TECH FD128025HB" http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_YS_Tech_60.html ) :D

Associate
OP
Joe42 said:
I bet its the same tho.
I can't remember which pins it is, but you have to put a jumper accross two of them to enable the two front channels.

i have just had my motherboard back from ocuk (its brand new they said my other one had knackered onboard sound) and it is saying exactly the same so i think you are right
how did you do it?
thanks

Associate
OP
A.N.Other said:

For you ...

just got a new mobo and i am oc'ing it, how much do you recommend i raise it by each time (the cpu frequency i mean)
thanks

*EDIT* i am raisng by 1 each time

Soldato
1 FSB? That's a little low :rolleyes:.

Look here and here for overclocks with your CPU (info in no.2 to be taken with a pinch of salt). Go straight to a value reasonably near the average OC and then step it up in 5s until you get instability. You can then fiddle about with the lower numbers, but this will save you a lot of time.

Soldato
comp builder said:
i have just had my motherboard back from ocuk (its brand new they said my other one had knackered onboard sound) and it is saying exactly the same so i think you are right
how did you do it?
thanks
See this pic. Top middle just above the blue pci-e slot. There are two blue jumpers on the front panel sound pins.
Jumpers like so:

. .|.| |.|
. .|.|.|.|

If you have a case with front sound connectors, connect these instead of the jumpers. The manual will tell you how, but i think the manual does not mention the need for jumpers if you don't have front panel sound. The jumpered pins are for the right and left channels for the headphone jack.

Associate
OP
Joe42 said:
See this pic. Top middle just above the blue pci-e slot. There are two blue jumpers on the front panel sound pins.
Jumpers like so:

. .|.| |.|
. .|.|.|.|

If you have a case with front sound connectors, connect these instead of the jumpers. The manual will tell you how, but i think the manual does not mention the need for jumpers if you don't have front panel sound. The jumpered pins are for the right and left channels for the headphone jack.

i dont know if i have front panel sound, what is it? and i dont want to use headphones i want to use 2 normal speakers (my speakers are 1 down)
also could you please look at this photo and tell me where the jumpers are asus A8R-MVP motherboard pic
thanks

Associate
OP
A.N.Other said:
1 FSB? That's a little low :rolleyes:.

Look here and here for overclocks with your CPU (info in no.2 to be taken with a pinch of salt). Go straight to a value reasonably near the average OC and then step it up in 5s until you get instability. You can then fiddle about with the lower numbers, but this will save you a lot of time.

how do i know if i get instability?
thanks

Soldato
comp builder said:
how do i know if i get instability?
thanks
You run memtest86 from a cd when you boot up to test the memory, and then prime95 torture test in windows to test the rest of it.
Edit: If your cpu is dual core, you need to create two shortcuts of prime95, click on properties and in the 'target' field put '-A0' (without ') in one and '-A1' in the other, then run both simultaniously.
comp builder said:
i dont know if i have front panel sound, what is it? and i dont want to use headphones i want to use 2 normal speakers (my speakers are 1 down)
also could you please look at this photo and tell me where the jumpers are asus A8R-MVP motherboard pic
thanks
What i mean by front panel sound is connectors on the front of the case. Most cases have a headphone and microphone jack on the front next to the front usb connectors. If you want to use these, you have to connect the cable to the audio pins on the board. If you don't want to use them, you have to put jumpers across those two pins.
Looking at that pic, i expect its the green set of pins just above the black pci-e connector next to the cd audio connectors. You should check your manual and see if it is this connector, and it will tell you how to connect your front panel sound connector to this.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Joe42 said:
You run memtest86 from a cd when you boot up to test the memory, and then prime95 torture test in windows to test the rest of it.
Edit: If your cpu is dual core, you need to create two shortcuts of prime95, click on properties and in the 'target' field put '-A0' (without ') in one and '-A1' in the other, then run both simultaniously.
What i mean by front panel sound is connectors on the front of the case. Most cases have a headphone and microphone jack on the front next to the front usb connectors. If you want to use these, you have to connect the cable to the audio pins on the board. If you don't want to use them, you have to put jumpers across those two pins.
Looking at that pic, i expect its the green set of pins just above the black pci-e connector next to the cd audio connectors. You should check your manual and see if it is this connector, and it will tell you how to connect your front panel sound connector to this.

why do you have to boot it from a cd why cant you just boot it from windows and how do i torture test in prime 95 (i already have prime 95 btw)
thanks for the help m8 :D

Soldato
You must boot it from a cd because then the memory is empty. When windows is running the memory contains windows and so that part can't be tested. I was reluctant to do this myself untill recently, but providing you can make a bootable cd i found it very easy to use. It practically runs itself.

In prime 95 go to options and click torture test. Should be left for a few hours with two instances running if its dual core. Also if its dual core you should click on advanced and go to affinity and check one is set to '0' and the other to '1' so each instance will only run on one core.

Associate
OP
Joe42 said:
You must boot it from a cd because then the memory is empty. When windows is running the memory contains windows and so that part can't be tested. I was reluctant to do this myself untill recently, but providing you can make a bootable cd i found it very easy to use. It practically runs itself.

In prime 95 go to options and click torture test. Should be left for a few hours with two instances running if its dual core. Also if its dual core you should click on advanced and go to affinity and check one is set to '0' and the other to '1' so each instance will only run on one core.

so i have to keep the disc in my drive everytime i boot my computer or just when i oc it
thanks again
:D

Soldato
comp builder said:
so i have to keep the disc in my drive everytime i boot my computer or just when i oc it
thanks again
:D
memtest is to check that your memory isn't gettign error because its overclocked too far. Just run it once or use it to see what the limits of your memory are. If it passes then its fine, if it fails you lower your memory speed and try again. Same with prime95 for the cpu.

Back
Top Bottom