overclocking

Associate
OP
Mikey1280 said:
It takes time, you need to run it for 12hrs, dialogues will appear every so often

well i aint got time for that today so is it best to leave it and do it tomorrow
thanks
(the reason i aint got time for that is the comp is in my room and its really hard to sleep with the wirring of fans lol :D )
thanks

Soldato
I find you only need to run prime for 30 minutes to see if its unstable. Then once you have finished overclocking you should run it for 12 horus to make sure its completely stable.

Associate
OP
A.N.Other said:
You woun't want to be changing the CPU multi with an A64! They are locked upwards, so can only go down.

Download CPU-Z, Prime95 and SuperPi. Stress test with the second two, CPU-Z give you info on your OC.

For you ...
Here ... 21st pic :eek: ... disable cool'n'quiet and set the Ht Mutli to 4x (800MHz).
Here ... 2nd pic ... change the memclock value to 166.
... 1st pic ... Raise the CPU frequency. Stress test. If you get instability, raise the processor voltage (same pic) very slightly and test again.

If you get the CPU frequency over 250, change the HT Multi to 3x. If in CPU-Z, the memory frequency gets to 215-220 ish, lower the memclock value again.

That should be it. Enjoy :)

// EDIT // Obviously, watch the temperatures when stress testing, especially after boosting the voltage. Lower the OC if things are getting too hot.

hi i know you said this a while ago but i was thinking about it on my paper round just, anyway if 4x is 800MHZ then what is 3x?
thanks

Associate
A.N.Other said:
change the memclock value to 166.

I was trying to follow this on my computer as overclocking has gotten me beat and cant get anywhere with any other guide but I don't have any where in my BIOS that says memclock or has values like 166.

I have an Abit AN8 SLI board - any ideas what option it would be?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
coneypark said:
I was trying to follow this on my computer as overclocking has gotten me beat and cant get anywhere with any other guide but I don't have any where in my BIOS that says memclock or has values like 166.

I have an Abit AN8 SLI board - any ideas what option it would be?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1837&page=4
First picture, DRAM clock value. To get 166, as above, you'd need to set this to 333 I would imagine.

// EDIT // Open a new thread if this isn't clear, saving on the clutter in here :)

Associate
OP
when i changed the cpu frequency to 255 and i changed the ht link to 3x and changed the voltage to 3.75 (previousily on 4.00) my computer crashed and i had to change everything back to auto setings to get it to work
so why did it do that was it because i lowered the voltage?

Soldato
I'm guessing you mean 1.4 and 1.375 volts, because no mobo can put more than about 1.85V through a CPU - and that would kill it in minutes without phase cooling.

If I'm right, then yes, dropping the volts made it unstable. 1.4V is fine - there's no need to drop that down at all. You can safely go to 1.5V on air cooling (and above, although you'd have to be careful with your temps).

coneypark said:
Big thanks A.N. Other - you were correct about that setting- actually getting some where with my overclocking now.
:cool: :o

Soldato
Mikey1280 said:
You can go to at least 1.6v on good air, you have lots of headroom comp builder, why did you drop the volts :confused:
I wouldn't go that high personally, especially with air temps as they are at the minute. 1.55 chould be OK though.

Basically, just watch your CPU temps. Anything below 50C is good, although it doesn't want to be getting that much more than that. Everest Home Edition, SpeedFan, MBM5 (if your board is supported) all give you temps, if you don't have a monitoring program already.

Associate
Well if ambient temps are very high like the moment (its 32 degrees in here) then I suppose the temps are the limit not the volts. Bare in mind though that the mobos voltage sensors are not accurate. In the BIOS my board reports 1.55v so does ThunderProbe, so does everest, cpu z and speedfan. However I measured the vcore with a multimeter and its actually 1.65v

Associate
OP
Mikey1280 said:
You can go to at least 1.6v on good air, you have lots of headroom comp builder, why did you drop the volts :confused:

i dropped the volts because thats what i thought you did once you got to 250 cpu frequecy but i now know that you raise the volts lol. :o
if anyone is really kind (or most probably really bored) then could they please write me a step by step guide to overclock my amd 64 3200+ (mobo= asus A8R-MVP)
thank

Back
Top Bottom