Overheating From Startup 100% CPU

Associate
Hey All!

Yesterday decided to clean my computer a bit, hoover out the dust & clean the fans etc. Upon putting it back together (exactly the way it was) The fans spun at 100% and showed that the CPU was at 91C while idle. Have tried many variations to see if I have accidentally knocked something out of place or some component isn't happy. Having stripped the machine back to just the MOBO, SSD & AIO Cooler I'm getting the same issues, CPU going to 91C and fans going mad! Annoyingly broke a fan so got a new one coming, along with some new thermal paste to try that out. However, this is where it gets interesting, using Corsair Link, my CPU is showing a load of 100%, through Task Manager the CPU load is only 5%. The CPU is at the factory clock and nothing else has been changed. I'm hoping this is a dodgy thermal paste issue and I can fix it with a new coat, however, if anyone has any bright ideas I would love to try them!

A list of what I have tried so far
  • CMOS Reset
  • GPU Removed
  • All HDD Removed (Apart from OS)
  • All HDD Removed (Just in BIOS still hitting 91C)
  • No peripherals attached (except monitor, mouse and keyboard)
I forgot to mention that the system ran perfectly before I decided to clean it (this is what I get for trying to be productive :o)

My Build
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
Intel I7-4700K
Corsair CXM 750W
Corsair H110i AIO

Any help would be much appreciated, I feel that this is quite a peculiar problem!

Associate
OP
Can definitely feel the pump running, haven't run the machine for too long to let the radiator get hot (especially now I have a broken fan)

Associate
OP
I never actually removed the pump from the CPU so didn't touch the paste, it has been on for a while but I can't quite understand why it would go from working fine to not after a clean out

Soldato
I never actually removed the pump from the CPU so didn't touch the paste, it has been on for a while but I can't quite understand why it would go from working fine to not after a clean out

bring up taskmanager and under the processes tab click on the cpu to find the bad behaving app and end it, see if the cpu drops temps, if so have a look at a update for said app, could be a older version is not working as intended after a windows update.

the latest icue software version is 3.28.75 btw

Soldato

Are you sure the pump is still securely plugged in, it does sound like a pump fault if your chip is reaching those temps from the moment you switch it on ?

I wouldnt even try to boot to Windows with those temps, id be surprised if it even made it into Windows before it crashed out from the heat, Windows boot process is quite stressful.

There was a similar issue only about 2 days ago, I was just looking for the thread, he showed us his bios screen, his CPU temps sitting at 95oC ish, turned out he hadn't plugged the pump in properly, and his comment was, straight away after tinkering with it, he heard the swoosh of the coolant starting to flow again, funny enough after cleaning too.

EDIT: Here, just found it https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/cpu-overheating-due-to-power-supply.18888700/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you sure the pump is still securely plugged in, it does sound like a pump fault if your chip is reaching those temps from the moment you switch it on ?

I wouldnt even try to boot to Windows with those temps, id be surprised if it even made it into Windows before it crashed out from the heat, Windows boot process is quite stressful.

There was a similar issue only about 2 days ago, I was just looking for the thread, he showed us his bios screen, his CPU temps sitting at 95oC ish, turned out he hadn't plugged the pump in properly, and his comment was, straight away after tinkering with it, he heard the swoosh of the coolant starting to flow again, funny enough after cleaning too.

EDIT: Here, just found it https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/cpu-overheating-due-to-power-supply.18888700/

I will give this one a shot! Most likely an issue like this as it reaches high temps in the bios before getting anywhere with other programs running!

Associate
I guess it's possible, it happens in central heating systems. Have you seen any suggestions on fixes? Have you tried flicking various parts of the tubing and looking for bubbles?

Associate
OP
I guess it's possible, it happens in central heating systems. Have you seen any suggestions on fixes? Have you tried flicking various parts of the tubing and looking for bubbles?
Sadly I can't see into the system as its all black tubing, have seen teardown video on YouTube so will delicately try to do that and refill!

Associate
Oh dear, that's a pain.

I used to have an AIO system and would remove the pump from the system still connected, place it in a bowl and then disconnect the tube from the outfeed and blow into it to push all the liquid out.

Associate
OP
Success!

With the help from a £6 Arctic cooler, we now have a solid 40C CPU. Looks like I will have to have a play with my AIO if I want to overclock!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Fantastic, is it possible that there was a link in one of the AIO tubes?

Glad you have it working with a fan in the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom