Overheating P4 3.4GHz

Associate
Howdy,

hoping someone can help.
I have a 3.4GHz P4 with HT technology, and the stock Intel HSF. Until recently, everything was running fine, when idle, I was getting temps around 45-48 degrees, and when under load, it would jump to abotu 55 Celsius, 60 at the most, but that happened very rarely.

A few weeks ago, I started noticing that my fan was spinning up a lot more than previously, but my temps remained the sameish, maybe a degree or two difference. HOwever, now, it's all gone haywire... When idle, fans running at full speed (and I can hear the fans running at full speed, it's very very loud!), I am idleing at 60 degrees. Running something like firefox, or mIrc, it will jum pup to 65... running a game like GuildWars, it will go up to 75, and start the alarms.

Any ideas on what could have happened? No new software has been installed, no new hardware has been installed, no changes at all have been made in the last few months. I looked in task manager, CPU activity is not abnormal at all, so there are no processes running that would cause the CPU to be overused.

I'm thinking of buying the Akasa Evo-120, is this any good? In an ideal world, I would like to avoid having to take my whole motherboard out, and removing the original backplate, is this HSF able to do this for me?

Hoping for help here, getting really desperate!

A.

Associate
i had this same issue, running a p4 3.0 for a while no clocks when suddenly the heat temps spiked, going from idle temps 45ish up to around 55, and the load temp from what was only around 55ish up to 80, no idea what went wrong, so i brought the evo, work like a treat, temps on idle now around 33-35 and load 45.

for me a great solution.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply, Cascadia. Quick question though - I know that a lot of HSFs now require you to remove the backplate from the mobo, and replace it with their own. Is the Evo such an HSF, or can it use the stock backplate?

A.

Soldato
If you put the central heating on & or increase the heat to compensate for colder weather then the ambient goes up as does the case temps so the stock Intel HSF detects this and the RPM increases.

Get a Zalman 9500 as they seem to be one of the best P4 coolers but not cheap @ almost £50 inc.

Associate
as for the evo, yes, for my 478 board (asus P4P800) i had to remove the back plate, which was on my part a very bad job, in the end i was cutting the plastic clip things off with a knife, thou probably an easier way to remove them if i had bothered to search for it >_<

Back
Top Bottom