1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overtaking funerals

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Jonny69, 8 Mar 2010.

1. Jonny69

Man of Honour

I just got stuck behind a funeral procession for most of my journey. It wasn't particularly holding me up because we were doing about 25mph in an all 30mph zone. However, some people just couldn't wait to get around it and were giving it all the beans to overtake.

I find that really disrespectful. Thoughts?

2. Lopéz

Man of Honour

Personally, I wouldn't overtake a funeral procession, and I'm possibly the most impatient person I know when it comes to driving.

3. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

Very disrespectful

4. The IPB

Mobster

I wouldn't do it, if I could drive an alternative route round it then I would as i'm lacking in patience.

5. jamief

Soldato

I would never do it. Find an alternative route if you really must get past.

6. -Ad-

Capodecina

Give the lad/lady a good see off with a VTEC salute :)

7. ajstan

Wise Guy

8. AJK

Wise Guy

Overtaking due to being an impatient ***** - bad.
    Overtaking due to my pregnant wife sitting in the passenger seat about to give birth and desperate to get to hospital - probably OK.

Just sayin' ;)

9. platypus

Caporegime

In anything but an emergency, no I wouldn't consider it.

10. DTWD

Hitman

I have been stuck in a few, in town it's not too bad, but on the b roads doing less than 30 get's pretty annoying.

However I just stay behind them, if I am late I am late. I have been so and told the boss at work and he just said "not much you could have done".

11. paradigm

Caporegime

The only time I've ever overtaken a funeral procession was when I was running late to a family funeral that I was attending, and no I didn't overtake the procession of the funeral I was attending.

12. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Out with the old, in with the new eh? ;)

It's not something I'd do, that for sure, often if I'm at a junction and I see a funeral procession going past I'll wait till all cars have gone by, even if at lights and it's my god. :)

13. MikeHiow

Banned

I once overtook a hearse, the question never even played in my mind until afterwards - and it pretty much immediately hit me, I haven't been stuck behind one since, but I wouldn't overtake again unless it was an emergency.

14. Egon

Soldato

Same here. I don't overtake. However I have accidentally done it. Coming off a roundabout joining a relatively slow moving line of traffic. It didn't occur to me at all that it could be a funeral procession and that might be why the fast lane was free. Felt like a right idiot as I pulled up alongside the family cars and then the hearse. :( :o

15. Django x2

Capodecina

I'd overtake, swerve in front and give a toot!!! ;)

16. metamorphpwner

Wise Guy

depends on the road tbh, dual cariageway ect. then yeah i probably would overtake. and if they're doing 20-25 in a 60zone then i'd probably feel i had to overtake, but wouldn't do it on a normal street or town road.

17. antijoke

Caporegime

I haven't ever been a situation where I would need to overtake, but why is it considered disrespectful?

18. Lethal`

Soldato

I got stuck behind one going at about 40 in a 60, I didn't overtake but some crazy woman behind us tried to overtake a line of about 5 or 6 cars behind me and the hearse and family cars. This was on a slight bend and she was very close to hitting a car coming the other way :(

19. peterattheboro

Capodecina

I'll just sit behind. The cemetery isn't far from my house so I'm not stuck behind the convoy for long.

20. Skeeter

Caporegime

Try getting to Wootton Bassett High Street as a repatriation is going on....