Overtaking funerals

Associate
I would never overtake got caught behind one on an NSL single carriageway with quite a few oppotunities to overtake but refused to.

Ended up being late for work, explained to my boos and she told me I should have overtaken. When I told her I felt it was disrespectful she asked "which is more important your need to get to work or their need for respect?" I ignored that remark and carried on working.

Soldato
I used to work at a place right near a crematorium and coming back on my bike at lunchtime I'd quite often get stuck behind one at the last, slowest bit where they have the guy walking in front of the cars.

I'd filter very slowly and quietly to the front of the queue behind them, but never overtake them. Saw a couple of bikes overtake them, didn't really like that. It's only a minute or so, have some respect.

Soldato
Are we talking about a single lane road or one with 2+ lanes?

I wouldn't overtake a procession on a single lane road, but I wouldn't hesitate to if there was a lane free. Infact only this morning I overtook a procession on a dual carriageway, and so did a lot of other people. I don't understand why this would be considered disrespectful.

Soldato
Are we talking about a single lane road or one with 2+ lanes?

I wouldn't overtake a procession on a single lane road, but I wouldn't hesitate to if there was a lane free. Infact only this morning I overtook a procession on a dual carriageway, and so did a lot of other people. I don't understand why this would be considered disrespectful.

That's different though on a dual carriageway I wouldn't hesitate, on a b-road I would consider it if there was LOADS of room to overtake them slowly, but there's not that many spots where you can do a trundling overtake on a b-road.

The ones I don't like is where I've seen bikes overtake processions on the very last bit approaching the crematorium where the guy is walking by the procession. They're literally a hundred yards from their destination, seems very disrespectful to overtake them then, as well as pointless.

Soldato
Was in this position the other day. NSL road, they were doing 25 - 30. I overtook at a steady pace to make sure the engine or exhaust wasn't screaming inn their faces.

I dont see the issue on NSL however I would never do it in 30 / 40 zones.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Overtaking funerals? The church walls are high so I'm not sure if there's omething going on or not ;)

I wouldn't even think twice about NOT overtaking a funeral procerssion, it's just common human compassionate sense isn't it? I just couldn't do it no matter how hot headed and impatient I can be. Blasting past a vehicle in a 30mph (assumingly built up) zone is pretty much a no-no, too many variables to consider. Country road? Nah, would probably need to do it in a boy racery manner which isn't very respectful. Multi lane road, yeah sure. Slowly and calmly within the speed limit.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I haven't ever been a situation where I would need to overtake, but why is it considered disrespectful?
Because people at a funeral are mourning. Everyone is so wrapped up in their own self importance they won't give an inch and when you're at a funeral remembering someone who has passed I'm sure it's great having some impatient idiot huffing and puffing, swerving around behind you trying to get past.

I'm really glad the response on here has been what it is. Maybe it's just London suburb scum round here skewing my perspective of what the world is like.

Associate
The first thing that popped into my head when seeing the thread title was the episode of The Inbetweeners where Simon pulls out into a funeral convoy :D I cant find a video and even if I could I suspect it might be rather full of swearies.

Personally I wouldn't overtake a funeral procession, if I'm late then so be it. Chances are its only going to be afew minutes at the most anyway. I have seen people do it and I really do wonder just how much of a hurry some people are in at times. Tailgating a hearse/procession also seems to be quite popular if people can't get past. Oh and yes if its a DC though but not at some stupid speed.

Back
Top Bottom