Overtaking funerals

Caporegime
When you can pass slowly and respectfully on a dual carriage way then yes.

But not on a single lane traffic whereby it would require you to really put your foot down to get by.

Soldato
The safety aspect if it's one lane/way... those funeral trains can be quite a few cars long. Would be seriously ironic if you messed up the overtaking.

DiG

DiG

Associate
I wouldn't,

I saw one going the other way to be a couple of months back and there was a police man radar gunning my direction, as the procession went past he stood straight, stopped his work and took his hat off, which I though was good

Associate
Don't see why funeral processions should be a special case - only overtake if it is safe to do so.

Dual carriageway - probably yes, it's safe to do so without excessive speed.
Single carriageway - assuming a speed of 25mph in a 30mph urban road for the procession, no, you'd need to exceed the speed limit, and trying to overtake a bunch of cars in one go is just asking for another funeral or two.

Associate
Was stuck behind a horse-drawn funeral procession once. On the main road into town - no alt. routes, no overtaking space.

Of course, didn't realise it was a funeral until I'd filtered to the front - thought it was the usual roadworks.

Soldato
I wouldn't, but I know before I die it must be known I want my funeral to go at the speed limit since I don't like being held up by funeral's so don't want to cause it either.

Soldato
I prefer to undertake them ;)

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Man of Honour
Personally, I wouldn't overtake a funeral procession, and I'm possibly the most impatient person I know when it comes to driving.

Ditto. It's just disrespectful. So you're held up for a few minutes, let the people who have just lost someone have some peace to grieve.

Though clearly I'd be doing a wheelie and revving the nuts of the bike whilst whooping as I went past.

Soldato
I'd never overtaken them, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't hurt to show a bit of respect even to someone you never knew.

Back
Top Bottom