Overtaking funerals

Soldato
Don't see why it is so disrespectful on a NSL road, end of the day if you need to be somewhere going 20 mph is a right pita. As long as you dont scream past and just take it steady I dont think it hurts anyone.

Doing it in a 30 zone is totally disrespectful, end of day they are cose to the limit anyway, and most of time will be in a built up area anyway so totally pointless.

Soldato
A funeral cortege is considered a single vehicle, so if the first goes through on a green the others will follow.

Surely common sense would dictate that you don't drive through a red light when someone had started to cross.:confused:

This funeral car wasn't the hearse, but just one of the cars that had lagged behind a good distance. The hearse and other cars had passed through the green earlier, so there was a good 15 - 20 second gap. I certainly didn't expect it and I don't believe it says anywhere about funeral cars being able to contradict road traffic signals. I thought that was the preserve of the emergency services?

Soldato
I would not overtake them unless we were on a multi-lane road, I find it pretty darn disrespectful, the notion that anything I have to do is so important that I have to save myself a few minutes by roaring past someone on their last journey in this world is silly really. No, it's not right.

Soldato
A few weeks ago, I was driving past a crematorium on my left and there was a procession waiting to turn right. I had seen them waiting to turn for a while as I came down the road, so I waved at the lead driver to go and obviously waited for the rest of the cars too. Some silly bint in a Ka behind me didnt want to wait and overtook me, nearly driving into the back of the hearse!

spp

spp

Associate
I don't overtake them out of respect, but I also don't judge anyone that overtakes them. After all it is a personal decision that does not affect me, some people may be in a hurry, or not want to show their respects for whatever reason.

Soldato
Only disrespectful on the assumption the person who is in the box/procession would find it so.

On the basis I would not know I would unlikely overtake. It's all circumstancial I guess. I've been stuck behind horse drawn processions and while I did not need to overtake for the short time I was behind them, if that was going to be a xx mile 5-10Mph affair then I am not sure how you could expect people not to overtake.

If I ever end up in the box in said procession, go for it and give it loads :) As for everyone else, I believe you can overtake in a manner that is respectful if you need/want to..

Last edited:
Soldato
On the basis on treat others on how you expect to be treated, yes I would overtake if I needed to. I wouldn't care if someone did it to me if I was part of a procession, I would have better things to worry about and having to think of such trivial matters on such a strange social taboo would never enter my head.

Having been in a relatively small one myself I don't even remember even caring to look outside the window, let alone care about other vehicle drivers over-taking.

Honestly do you believe you are being respectful by not over taking? Do you think they even give a damn or will even notice? What smug git think of themselves such a saintly person to "hold back".
However on Jersey there is nowhere that takes so long to get to, there are many other alternative routes so it would never be a problem, unless I aboslutely 100% had to be somewhere that driving at the speed limit which they were'nt meant for it.

Edit: I'd never go in between the procession though, that would get someones attention.
Hell, put me in the back of my stang and make a loud noise one last time.

Last edited:
Soldato
According to my Dad, who used to drive hearses part time after he retired from IT, they normally didn't have any issue with people overtaking as long as it was safe to do so. So dual carriage ways wouldn't be a problem but on single carriage way roads it's not really safe to try and pass a hearse and two or three limos all in one go.

Apparently you do get funny looks though if you are running a hearse back to the office with an empty coffin in the back and over taking people yourself going down a dual carriage way :)

Man of Honour
Reminds me of Gumball Rally when some of them went past a hearse by cutting past some dirt track, was pretty random.

When you can pass slowly and respectfully on a dual carriage way then yes.

But not on a single lane traffic whereby it would require you to really put your foot down to get by.
This ^ I overtook one on a dual carriage way before (slowly).

Back
Top Bottom