Own a Diesel car? See your TAX increase..

Soldato
To be fair, I thought he said it was first year VED, but that makes no sense either as all new vehicles meet the current standards. I think we need to await clarity on this one.

ps. please stop reading the Daily Mail :p

Soldato
Extract from the actual speech:

DPPaVcLXcAAI3H3.jpg:large

Soldato
Pathetic.

So VED goes up one band, which amounts to between around £15-35 a year - peanuts basically.
This is assuming I understand it correctly that cars registered before April 2017 will have their annual VED raised by one band. If they're on about the first year charge for new cars, then all new diesels confirm to EU6 anyway so what difference does that make?

Diesel company cars get an additional 1% levy, which even on a £30k car for a 40% tax payer would amount to less than a tenner a month.

This won't change anything.

Soldato
From Nick Gibbs (automotive correspondent):

Mystery of the diesel tax solved. From 1 April 2018, new UK diesel cars that don't pass the EU RDE2 real driving emissions standards (that don't come in force till 2020/21) will be taxed more. Here's the tax take - so £125m in first year, then falls away

DPPmGmbXcAEY0bX.jpg:large

Soldato
And there's more:

Quite a smart way to tax diesels. Consumers: buy the cleanest and dodge the tax. Car firms: rush out your cleanest diesels quicker. But the company car tax hike (also based on RDE2) generates more cash/hits drivers harder

DPPnYEpX4AA9tq5.jpg:large

Soldato
As I said, the company car hike amounts to only a tenner a month for a 40% tax payer with a £30k car. Will make no difference whatsoever.

Soldato
What's also interesting is that we will be applying EU regulations post March 2019. In practical terms most EU regs will still apply as it's easier for both companies and the government to have a one-size fits all policy. I.e. different regs and different products for different markets just adds cost.

Soldato
I notice the Daily Mail have updated their article. Apparently there is 'fury' about this change. They really do write some rubbish dont they!

Well I'm fairly furious about it - albeit furious that they've done absolutely nothing to get nasty old, heavily polluting diesels off our roads.

Back
Top Bottom