Own a Diesel car? See your TAX increase..

Soldato
Well I'm fairly furious about it - albeit furious that they've done absolutely nothing to get nasty old, heavily polluting diesels off our roads.

taking the general motors forum standard of buying car advice i'm amazed there's any diesels on the road more than 3 years old still intact :p

although on a more serious note, it's just going to be a case of letting them die off naturally, the problem with targeting the really old diesels off the road is most of those old cars are run by folk who cant afford to buy a new car, and because of the success of diesels before this whole witchhunt started there's not a glut of nice clean petrol cars (read nice and clean with a sarcastic tone) for folk to buy in that kind of price bracket.

this is why they're targeting the newer more expensive cars, and by extension the people who can afford to do something about the ratio of diesel to petrol cars on the road.

Man of Honour
Well I'm fairly furious about it - albeit furious that they've done absolutely nothing to get nasty old, heavily polluting diesels off our roads.

Nobody is going to scrap cars because the road tax goes up so there isn't much you can do in that respect.

These cars are mostly one big bill away from a write off anyway so it's a problem that eventually fixes itself.

Soldato
Also, the market is clearly making it's own mind up, and doing quite a good job of it. Diesel market share has fallen faster than most thought it would. A few nudges are all it needs I think.

Soldato
We could do plenty to improve the standard of cars on the road if we wanted too. The way most people see situations like this though is an opportunity get the best out out of it for themselves.

Soldato
We could do plenty to improve the standard of cars on the road if we wanted too. The way most people see situations like this though is an opportunity get the best out out of it for themselves.

Go on, elaborate. What cost-effective methods would clean up the existing car stock?

The main way to reduce Nox (for example) is AdBlue. Retrofitting AdBlue tanks and systems would write off most cars (as VW found).

Soldato
You said "Nothing". Something is clearly not nothing.

Nothing is clearly what you've understood of the budget measures.

Neither of the two proposed measures will have any effect on older diesels at all.

The VED change is for new cars only, whilst all company cars are 3-4 years old at most, thus neither has any effect on the endless number of 8+ year old sheds I see on the roads every day, belching out smoke every time they pull away from a junction or set of lights.

Soldato
Nothing is clearly what you've understood of the budget measures.

Neither of the two proposed measures will have any effect on older diesels at all.

The VED change is for new cars only, whilst all company cars are 3-4 years old at most, thus neither has any effect on the endless number of 8+ year old sheds I see on the roads every day, belching out smoke every time they pull away from a junction or set of lights.

Please read the rest of my post. Thank you. :)

Soldato
The last round of scrapage would be a good example. How many cars got crushed where better than what people who couldn't afford to exchange was driving around in.

Good cars got sold for scrap value and scrap ones left on the road.

Soldato
The last round of scrapage would be a good example. How many cars got crushed where better than what people who couldn't afford to exchange was driving around in.

Good cars got sold for scrap value and scrap ones left on the road.

Is that an example of something that would improve the existing stock in a cost-effective way? I think you're arguing against a scrappage scheme?

Soldato
Is that an example of something that would improve the existing stock in a cost-effective way? I think you're arguing against a scrappage scheme?

You really can't see the point. Aerodrones full of free cars. Roads full of cars. Sort wheat from chaff.

Soldato
There are about 90 company cars parked outside our office, all '60 plate and another 150 or so more at our local BT Fleet place from around the same year... That's without looking at the vans, tankers and others.

And if you see smoke out the back of my '03 diesel, something's wrong!!

Soldato
You really can't see the point. Aerodrones full of free cars. Roads full of cars. Sort wheat from chaff.

Ah, so you're saying to put back on the roads the cars that were taken off the roads nearly 10 years ago, if they would be replacing a more polluting car that's currently on the road? Wow. Have you thought that through?

Soldato
Ah, so you're saying to put back on the roads the cars that were taken off the roads nearly 10 years ago, if they would be replacing a more polluting car that's currently on the road? Wow. Have you thought that through?

Struggling with the concept of exchanging worse for better at scrap value?

Soldato
There are about 90 company cars parked outside our office, all '60 plate and another 150 or so more at our local BT Fleet place from around the same year... That's without looking at the vans, tankers and others.

Even assuming these are vehicles which attract P11D tax, I'd still wager you are the exception rather than the norm. The vast vast majority of company cars are leased vehicles on a 3-4 year maximum replacement cycle.

And if you see smoke out the back of my '03 diesel, something's wrong!!

Well I see puffs of smoke out the back of just about every diesel I see that's old enough not to have a DPF, but it's not just particulates, it's the NOx that's the real problem.

Soldato
Well I see puffs of smoke out the back of just about every diesel I see that's old enough not to have a DPF, but it's not just particulates, it's the NOx that's the real problem.

can't say i've seen it, it's always the more modern highly boosted ones with the dpf removes (or doing a cleaning cycle) that do it.

well, except the boras and d turbo's that have had the adidas brigade get their hands on them.

Soldato
Struggling with the concept of exchanging worse for better at scrap value?

Struggling with the following:

- recommissioning costs for cars that havent moved in 10 years - tyres, brakes, fuel lines, brake lines, electronics, the list goes on and on
- cleaning the moss off the cars :p
- finding very few actual cars to be put back on the road that are less polluting than current cars (of similar performance, practicality, etc) that drivers would actually want to drive. And remember old petrol cars can be pretty bad on things like NoX
- logistics - this seems like a good way to transport truckloads of cars around the country, hardly environmentally friendly

All to replace cars currently worth a few k! Are you serious?

Soldato
Struggling with the following:

- recommissioning costs for cars that havent moved in 10 years - tyres, brakes, fuel lines, brake lines, electronics, the list goes on and on
- cleaning the moss off the cars :p
- finding very few actual cars to be put back on the road that are less polluting than current cars (of similar performance, practicality, etc) that drivers would actually want to drive. And remember old petrol cars can be pretty bad on things like NoX
- logistics - this seems like a good way to transport truckloads of cars around the country, hardly environmentally friendly

All to replace cars currently worth a few k! Are you serious?

You haven't had a great deal of experience in life have you :p

Back
Top Bottom