Own a Diesel car? See your TAX increase..

Soldato
They won't force old ones off the road, because there probably aren't enough old petrol cars to go around and not everyone can afford a new one. They told everyone to buy diesels for the last 15 years so there is a big shortage of "normal" petrol cars. Especially with the new diesel tax coming in London next year.

Soldato
Just found this...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...rpollutants_statisticalrelease_2016_final.pdf

I really don't see what all the fuss is about, all pollutant levels are falling and are the lowest they have ever been. NOX in particular is falling fast with no indication of the rate of decline stalling

But hey, any excuse to raise taxes to solve a non-existent problem eh??

presumably the official answer is because emission controls are working, and adding more emission controls (read emission taxes) will make it even better right?

it's like with smoking, instead of raising the age to buy cigarettes by one year every year and chopping it off at a generation, they'd rather milk it with taxes and get lots of money from people with addiction problems.

if there's a good way, and a profitable way to solve a problem they'll always choose the profitable way (not saying the profitable way doesnt work, just that it's not always as effective as other methods)

Soldato
We were *encouraged* to buy diesels. So we did. Now they want to shaft us.

How is that the case, its new cars only. They even admit that that the amount of tax this will bring in over the long term will be minimal thus the amount extra people have to pay will be minimal. No one wants to pay more lets be realistic but if your buying a new car its not like you are struggling to get by. It's just a a small push to stop people buying diesel that don't do big miles. There was also other nudges to entice people to go EV.

In reality it is the least they could do to show they were doing something but not actually doing anything.

Soldato
As an aside, I have tried to find out though I haven't searched exhaustively, but would anybody know off hand what the situation for pre-2000 cars is regarding VED?

(My youngest is 1995 :D )

Soldato
A lot of people are going to get stung for having no DPF once the improved MOT emissions test arrives as well. It is coming.

Caporegime
Won't be able to sale Diesels for love nor money soon..

Really? Given the vast majority of cars on the roads today are diesel I think the market for used ones is going to remain for a good while yet, so long as you go for a relatively modern one the tax hike is hardly a deal breaker.

My partners 2012 Focus for example is moving from £25 annual tax to £100 (if I understand the new system) which isn’t going to make her sell it nor would it be a deal breaker when she comes to buy another.

I’m more surprised there isn’t a harder hit on older vehicles as surely these are the real polluters out there...

Soldato
Extract from the actual speech:

DPPaVcLXcAAI3H3.jpg:large

I had to re-read it after I missed the word van in the second from last paragraph.

Soldato
Really? Given the vast majority of cars on the roads today are diesel I think the market for used ones is going to remain for a good while yet, so long as you go for a relatively modern one the tax hike is hardly a deal breaker.

My partners 2012 Focus for example is moving from £25 annual tax to £100 (if I understand the new system) which isn’t going to make her sell it nor would it be a deal breaker when she comes to buy another.

I’m more surprised there isn’t a harder hit on older vehicles as surely these are the real polluters out there...

It not going anywhere at 2012, the new rules are for new cars built next year.

That's their own fault for "deleting" it. Tough poop.
Yep no sympathy for them at all, going to cost a small fortune. You can see these cars a mile away, saw one yesterday a newish BMW in white with big black patches above each exhaust, and a dirty cloud when he put his foot down.

Back
Top Bottom