Own a Diesel car? See your TAX increase..

Yep no sympathy for them at all, going to cost a small fortune. You can see these cars a mile away, saw one yesterday a newish BMW in white with big black patches above each exhaust, and a dirty cloud when he put his foot down.

I don't really understand why people do it to newish cars, I thought most of the issues were engineered out now that existed on the earlier ones.
I suppose it could be the logic of its cheaper to "fix" it once than potentially have to do it more than once later

Associate
OP
Really? Given the vast majority of cars on the roads today are diesel I think the market for used ones is going to remain for a good while yet, so long as you go for a relatively modern one the tax hike is hardly a deal breaker.

Don't be so naive, it's already affecting the the price of Diesels in second-hand market due to the media 'scare mongering' the general public into the horrors of Diesel cars, Mr and Mrs Joe Bloggs wouldn't even bother or probably care to look any further than what's in tabloid, and switch to an alternative to Diesel without thinking if in the market for a new/used car...

Associate
As someone who drives a dirty diesel circa 2008 that is worth bugger all there is only 3 things that will make me swop:

1: A massive (truly huge) increase in tax. £20.00 here and there isn't going to do anything.
2: A big repair bill
3: I just fancy a change

Soldato
As someone who drives a dirty diesel circa 2008 that is worth bugger all there is only 3 things that will make me swop:

1: A massive (truly huge) increase in tax. £20.00 here and there isn't going to do anything.
2: A big repair bill
3: I just fancy a change

I've decided to hold onto a 90K diesel for the next few years. I've had to put £1400 into it, but that's nothing for a car I'm happy with in every way apart from the fact it's a dirty stinking diesel.

Seems the government agree with me keeping it for a while longer too and odds are anything I looked at in a show room a diesel version would make the most sense anyway.

Looks like the government's solution to our diesel problem is sweep it under the rug and pretend everything is OK. Seems like they have a bit of habit of that.

Last edited:
Soldato
"that don't meet the latest standards"

But all new diesels will meet the latest standards.

This is an incentive the UK governement are trying to push manufacturers to meet Real Driving Emissions Step 2 (RDE2) as part of WLTP 3 years early. The actual requirement comes into play in 2020.

So its no clear if the latest diesels will meet this, they will certainly meet EU6b but not necessarily RDE2 to avoid the band jump.

Soldato
Ah that makes more sense - so not just EU6 then

Still pointless as it does nothing to get the old polluting sheds off the road

Economically - they are turning the tap off slowly, then allowing the pool of diesels to naturally drop out giving businesses and individuals that followed the government's previous advice to migrate over their next car purchases etc.
Couple that with an expected increase in Diesel fuel tax means that over time it will push people and businesses to plan to move.

For the record I drive a '17 EU6 1.6 litre diesel (47mpg measured) but due to the DPF it doesn't get the short daily commute that's saved for a 1.0 litre petrol engine (44mpg quoted).

Last edited:
Soldato
Those saying that there are no changes to get older diesels off the road - not quite true.

As more councils start looking at adopting clean air zones, people with older diesels will find it expensive to drive through these zones and that will be another nudge towards petrol or EV.

Soldato
So far its only oxford that has announced something and realistically you can use a park and ride service or just park outside the small area they have identified which does not have a missive burden to begin with. Unlike if you regularly need to drive within the north circular (London) in a few years.

Soldato
Those saying that there are no changes to get older diesels off the road - not quite true.

As more councils start looking at adopting clean air zones, people with older diesels will find it expensive to drive through these zones and that will be another nudge towards petrol or EV.

I wonder if there are likely to be sufficient disgruntled diesel owners to affect who controls those councils....??

Man of Honour

People don't scrap cars because of parking charges. If they sell someone else will buy it, these measures do nothing but raise revenue.

Associate
Would people recommend staying away from Euro6 Diesels a 2015 BMW 320d to be exact? My annual mileage is going to jump from 8k to around 16k a year currently have a petrol and average around 35mpg so could really do with a diesel now. Not so worried about an increase in tax/fuel but I am worried it would be pretty much worthless in 3/4 years time ?

Would people recommend staying away from Euro6 Diesels a 2015 BMW 320d to be exact? My annual mileage is going to jump from 8k to around 16k a year currently have a petrol and average around 35mpg so could really do with a diesel now. Not so worried about an increase in tax/fuel but I am worried it would be pretty much worthless in 3/4 years time ?

It won't be that quick, I suspect we will see a slow increase in the costs of running a diesel to make petrol the obvious choice for 12k or so drivers and below.
3-4 years your already at 60k miles. Most cars are worth sod all by around 100k anyway.

Back
Top Bottom