p4 3.2 with a ASUS P5AD2-e mobo, good overclocking potential ?

Associate
I started another thread the other day about case cooling, and after reading a bit on these forums I was considering trying a small overclock on my P4 540 3.2 CPU. Also have the X800XT PCI-E graphics card, but not too sure if I want to risk touching that.

If I could manage to get a good airflow system running in my case, nice lowish temps, what is the potential overclock I could achieve with the CPU mentioned, + the ASUS P5AD2-E Premium motherboard ?

I read somewhere that someone managed to get the CPU up to 3.98GHz, now do you need to be a pro for that, or is it quite common ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Xez

Xez

Associate
Yep! ive got my 630 to 4GHZ on stock cooler although it gets a bit toasty 70C+ sometimes! But if you have a good cooler then im sure 4.5GHZ will be a possibility on very good air..

although the 5xx series is quite a bit warmer than the 6xx series

Associate
I'm currently running my P4 540 at 4ghz stable (250fsb) on 1.55v on the same motherboard as you and there is room for more :) The speed improvement at 4ghz is enough for me at the moment, so I don't want to push it too far. It's taken me ages to get it stable at this speed :p

RAM is running at 333mhz on a 3:4 ratio at 4,4,4,12 timings to give you an idea of what you should be able to get.

Keep an eye on temps though. I'm watercooling my P4, but I've heard it gets a bit toasty on anything over 1.5v with air cooling.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom