1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pac question

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by [email protected]*nG, 9 Nov 2011.

1. [email protected]*nG

Soldato

I'm currently on Vodafone, the best deals i can find for the Galaxy SII and HTC Sensation XE are also on Vodafone on Mobilephonesdirect.co.uk for £26 a month.

Vodafone themselves don't offer the XE and won't let me have the SII for £26 a month and I know I can't keep my number if I go Vodafone -> Vodafone. so can I get my PAC code, leave Vodafone, then go to giffgaff/talkmobile for a month, then leave them, get my PAC code and go for one of those deals?

[email protected]

2. Wicksta

PermaBanned

Don't Vodafone have a sim only tariff you can drop to for a month?

3. paradigm

Caporegime

How would that help him port his number from Vodafone to Vodafone :confused:

4. Myshra

Mobster

PAC to PAYG SIM (well, internal number port), PAC back.

5. paradigm

Caporegime

Won't help him start a new contract with a third party distributor though, surely?

6. Myshra

Mobster

sure it will, you can port numbers within a telco just as easily. Goto 3rd party, say I need this number moving from the same network as part of the new contract, job done. Most networks can port without the 3rd party even being involved, you can just phone up and ask for it to be ported post contract start sometimes.

7. chiggz

Wise Guy

Yeah, I agree that networks can now port a number from the same network. Best to make sure though!

8. [email protected]*nG

Soldato

if i go with somebody like mobilephonesdirect would it be best to take out the contract, get the phone THEN transfer the number and cancel the old contract? it's just i've heard horror stories of people taking out a new contract, asking to get it ported across and it not happening and them losing their old number

[email protected]

9. Myshra

Mobster

losing numbers can only really happy in one situation which is where you stop one contract, start a new through another provider (but not selecting "port this") and forget to do the port thing you know to do. If you're worried afaik you can go right to the end screen on MPD and then not click confirm if you want to try it? Anyway, for safety I tell everyone I know who wants to do this the following order:

Contract end day -30 - phone up, tell them you want to end contract and this is the 30 days notice, switch to PAYG. They will either:
    Offer you a SIM for this which you'll need on contract end +1
    Tell you life's OK - the account will switch to PAYG automatically
    On contract end day check you're still at that number, order new phone deal, go through website steps (some have different processes for same network number switch compared to standard PAC) and job done.

10. [email protected]*nG

Soldato

when i get to the 2nd page it asks me if i'm currently with Vodafone and asks me to enter my mobile phone number, is this enough to migrate me across? It doesn't specify:

[​IMG]

Would i need to contact Vodafone and tell them that i'm leaving before doing this? My contract has expired completely

[email protected]

Last edited: 9 Nov 2011
  11. [email protected]*nG

Soldato

i phoned MPD and they have said that they CAN'T transfer me, but only because that is technically an "upgrade" and existing customers don't get as good deals. looks like i will have to push it onto a PAYG sim first then

[email protected]