Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Man of Honour
Weir running sounds fun

Haven't been out very much the past week or so. Been busy with work. Had a couple of SUP paddles and one longer and not wet kayak. Getting somewhat used to it but a long way off mastering it!

Associate
Finally got out on my Red today.

It's a weird feeling going back to 32" wide and i definitely wasn't paddling as well as on my 27", i do however like how low you sit as the board is only 4.75 thick. It's less stable than my other boards and i can sense some flex with the nose angling upwards but i think that's to be expected. The Max weight is 110kg and i'm ~100kg so quite close to the max. Whereas on the other boards i'm at around the 70% mark.

What was grim was the state of the canal, it's been a few weeks since i've got in here and gone in this direction, but there was oil covering the surface and my board looks pretty grim for it now. Normal washing up liquid doesn't seem to touch it so i'm about to look online for some cleaner as i'm conscious the chemicals could affect the material. Plus it looks rank!

Canal experience can change from one week to the next we have had issues with water levels in essex (recent 4 foot drop on one section now resolved!) more fisherman about now but fortunate the swans are not attacking me this year:p though surface weed starts to become more of an issue into July. Am thinking of moving up from a 10'6 board to 14' and was wondering how your gladiator 14 x 27 fair would on the canal...enough stability/ room to maneuver etc?

Soldato
The recent rain seems to have helped. I went for a run down the canal on Saturday and it's pretty clean looking now.

Stability wise it's been excellent. I've been surprised at how stable it feels, and on flat water you're not going to struggle at all. I've also been out on Lake Windermere on it in some wind and it's faired very well there too. I think the extra volume makes it similar to an all round board and because you're closer to the centre line it feels less rocky. Definitely wouldn't hesitate recommending it to someone in your position. The fin is also very good and i've noticed fewer issues with weeds in the canal compared to the old fin.

The fact the pump and paddle it comes with are very good too, makes it an excellent package.

Associate
The recent rain seems to have helped. I went for a run down the canal on Saturday and it's pretty clean looking now.

Stability wise it's been excellent. I've been surprised at how stable it feels, and on flat water you're not going to struggle at all. I've also been out on Lake Windermere on it in some wind and it's faired very well there too. I think the extra volume makes it similar to an all round board and because you're closer to the centre line it feels less rocky. Definitely wouldn't hesitate recommending it to someone in your position. The fin is also very good and i've noticed fewer issues with weeds in the canal compared to the old fin.

The fact the pump and paddle it comes with are very good too, makes it an excellent package.

Yes good package weight is impressive 10.5kg for 14ft ......I walk down to the canal from my house plus lock structures each mile (same weight as my 10ft board!)

27" wide sounds ideal though am skinny 65- 70 kg is that factor likely to affect depth of this 6" board above water line i.e center of gravity?

Associate
I don’t think so. I doubt you’d see any boards at 14’ being less than 6” thick as otherwise they just wouldn’t be rigid enough.

Yes you are right the 14 boards do need to be 6" ....got the news Gladiator 14 Elites out of stock until October (been quite a run on boards since the lock down)

One issue I am having lately on the canal is wind I have a mile of water meadow to paddle across before I reach canal proper and the wind can really pick up in gusts.....fine downstream but hard work getting home upstream into headwind. Ideally I am looking max 10mph and fortunate did drop this morning from a forecasted 15mph to get out early (mostly paddle mornings) Wind situation improving end of week

Associate
I'm looking to get an itiwit kayak from decathlon. I've seen a few people state to get paddles 240cm or longer for these due to the seating position and width. Anyone have any recommendations? Nothing fancy as it will just be for mucking about on a lake/river with my children.

Man of Honour
I'm looking to get an itiwit kayak from decathlon. I've seen a few people state to get paddles 240cm or longer for these due to the seating position and width. Anyone have any recommendations? Nothing fancy as it will just be for mucking about on a lake/river with my children.

No real recommendation but cheap and chearful though is way to go. They're great for pottering about but no benefit in putting down the power.

Had a good weekend of paddling. Bit of SUP here and there but main event was a decent blast in the K1 yesterday. Did about 8 miles I guess. It covers ground really quickly. I was feeling like an absolute boss at one point, thinking through my stroke and feeling like I was hammering it. At exactly that point a relatively fat middle aged (like me) bloke burned past me in a Nelo. Back in my box.

Have a mate coming over this afternoon with a starboard tourer 14foot zen isup. His first board (his ambition is to come touring with me so pursuaded him to skip the 10 foot recreational boards) and first blast. Looking forward to getting him wet.

Man of Honour
Fair enough.

I can imagine it would be horrible in anything other than flat conditions.

Saw someone on same board as yours yesterday. Nice looking bit of kit.

Soldato
The Gladiator?

Yeah it's good, and they're certainly getting more popular. Mine looks to have snagged a rock at some point recently and i can see a some of the fibres. It's not bad enough to cause any issues though but something i need to keep an eye on.

I could do with hosing both boards down too. I took my Red out on the river the other week and it was raining when i got back, so it's just been loosely rolled up on the back seat and covered in bits of dirt!

A guy i paddle with is looking at getting a Touring hard board. Looking forward to trying it out when he does. He's after the Starboard Generation.

Man of Honour
Yep 14 foot gladiator I saw yesterday. Looks well made.

I've had a bubble come up in the deckpad of RRD. Popped it with a pin (at request of h20 the supplier), fingers crossed it is misguling of pad rather than board fault.

The starboard touring was lovely. It was the middle of the three constructions and nicely finished to be fair. He got it for £699 with paddle which seemed a bargain. Loads of tie downs and so on and very good glide on it.

Man of Honour
I've had a bubble come up in the deckpad of RRD. Popped it with a pin (at request of h20 the supplier), fingers crossed it is misguling of pad rather than board fault.

Bubble re-emerged. H20 have been great but has left me a bit wary of RRD. Since the board is still usable and to replace would mean destroying it (as per warranty process) H20 offered me credit for a good chunk of it which I have turned into a carbon 50 3 piece fanatic paddle. They were willing to push RRD to replace but I think it is wrong to throw out that much plastic for something that touch wood is mostly cosmetic. We're taking three boards on holiday (mate has very kindly lent me his starboard) so 3 3 pieces needed.

Soldato
I guess that’s not a bad result considering the price of the board in the first place.

You must have so many paddles now!

Im confused from H2O’s point of view though. Surely they’re losing money here as they’d have been able to claim any warranty from RRD whereas this way they’re just out of pocket for the cost of the Fanatic paddle. Shows how much margin must be involved on this stuff!

Man of Honour
I guess that’s not a bad result considering the price of the board in the first place.

You must have so many paddles now!

Im confused from H2O’s point of view though. Surely they’re losing money here as they’d have been able to claim any warranty from RRD whereas this way they’re just out of pocket for the cost of the Fanatic paddle. Shows how much margin must be involved on this stuff!

They said they would grapple it back from RRD who had already offered some partial refund (but then bubble came back). Cost of sales on stuff like this is typically about 50% so h20 prob made couple hundred originally. First reported to RRD 2 months ago and I think h20 have had enough (as have I). They have same margin in paddle as in board so all in all they won't make anything much but keep me happy and don't lose. Have bought from them before and will again.

4 paddles 3 boards :)

Associate
No real recommendation but cheap and chearful though is way to go. They're great for pottering about but no benefit in putting down the power.

Had a good weekend of paddling. Bit of SUP here and there but main event was a decent blast in the K1 yesterday. Did about 8 miles I guess. It covers ground really quickly. I was feeling like an absolute boss at one point, thinking through my stroke and feeling like I was hammering it. At exactly that point a relatively fat middle aged (like me) bloke burned past me in a Nelo. Back in my box.

Have a mate coming over this afternoon with a starboard tourer 14foot zen isup. His first board (his ambition is to come touring with me so pursuaded him to skip the 10 foot recreational boards) and first blast. Looking forward to getting him wet.

I took delivery last week of a 2020 Starboard sup touring deluxe 14 foot x 30 (single chamber) plus 3 piece Starboard Enduro carbon paddle been waiting for it since early May, really impressed with the board it performs well on the North Sea, plenty of glide, build quality is top notch too.

Cheers all

Soldato
I took delivery last week of a 2020 Starboard sup touring deluxe 14 foot x 30 (single chamber) plus 3 piece Starboard Enduro carbon paddle been waiting for it since early May, really impressed with the board it performs well on the North Sea, plenty of glide, build quality is top notch too.

Cheers all

I thought you had the 14' Naish? How come you went for such a similar board?

A guy i paddle with has an older board in that style (although only 11'2) and it seems pretty well made. Looks like yours comes with the same pump as my Gladiator, it's great isn't it!

Man of Honour

Cheers all

Nice. I'm look forward to paddling the zen touring (although currently looking like we will postpone holiday a bit due to sodding covid). I fancy an all star 28 inch isup as my inflatable at some point but it's been quite a spenny few months for water toys so that will have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom