Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Associate
Ah nice board. The design is weird in that they look like they belong in Mad Max!

Funnily enough i was looking back through the thread for a post and was about to ask if you'd bought the Generation!

I changed my mind on the starboard as most the friends i paddle with have all got 14' hardboards.

The blackfish is bit overkill for touring but it paddles like a tourer and even at 24" wide is super stable.

Man of Honour
Picked up a new board (Infinity Blackfish) after lockdown with the hope of doing some races with friends but most have been cancelled. Got a small SUPAthlon I'm entered in on Sunday which hasn't been cancelled yet

I've been out most weeks but really wanted to enter some events this year

Looks to be a beast of a board. Good work.

Soldato
Read through most of this thread recently as I've just started out doing SUP. Started with a taster/basics lesson a couple of weeks ago at Spring Lakes near Derby, then did an hour so solo last week at the same place. Loved it so bought my first board which arrived yesterday, a Bluefin Cruise 10'8" Tried it out last night at Barton Marina whilst marshaling an open water swim session and it feels like a bargain for £439.

I still cycle, run and can swim well (did my first (and last) full Ironman last year), but as with triathlon, I wish I discovered this years ago!

Anyway, looking for any tips, places to go, do's and don'ts etc.

Shot this video of 2 friends having their taster/basics lesson the day after mine.

Associate
Nice video, the paddlepoints app is a good place to start. Also the paddle board Facebook groups will give you some local put in spots if you ask.

Soldato
Welcome. It looks like Bluefin have improved the paddles on their current boards which was a big issue i had with my old one. They now look similar to the lower end Fanatic/Jobe paddles.

It's a slippery slope is all i can say. As mentioned above, the Facebook groups are a great source of info, and i believe Bluefin have an Owners group on their too.

Soldato
Stupid retailers.

As previously mentioned. I'd placed an order for the new Jobe Duna. However they've made some changes and actually added 1kg onto the weight of the board to increase rigidity. Nowhere seems to have updated this info and they still have the old model weight. I started having second thoughts as my plan is to cram clothes into the bag and only have 1 bag for holidays. The deciding factor was when i saw someone on Facebook post a picture of their Jobe and the design just looks a mess in the non stock images. The colours don't work together and it all seems a bit clumsy looking. I know it shouldn't be a factor but it is!

I've now ordered the Fanatic Ray Air. It's 1.8kg lighter than the Jobe so that's quite a lot of shorts/t-shirts!

I was really tempted by the new Fanatic 11'6 Pocket edition, which rolls up into a bag half the size of a normal board (but long and thin, rather than the cube of the Red compact), which makes a lot more sense. However it's the same board as i've ordered pretty much, but costs an extra £200 and whilst it would've been nice having a compact board, my sensible side won and i decided it wasn't worth the extra cost. Plus it has 2 thruster click fins rather than a US fin box so i'd have been limited on fin options.

The deciding factor was having a board for Spain. It shouldn't really have been a factor but it will be nicer to play on in the sea than my Gladiator. My other side says that i got it for 10% off so even if i decide to change again (which i have a habit of doing), i shouldn't lose much, although not sure what i'll do with the crappy paddle it comes with. I could've bought it without, but figured if i do come to sell it, then it'll be much more sellable with a paddle than without.

I accept it won't be as rigid as the Jobe would've been, and if it was going to be my main/only board i think my decision would've been different. Ideally i would've preferred an 11' board rather than 11'6, but the only one i liked of that is the JP Cruiseair, but at £800 i managed to reign myself back!

Soldato
Bear in mind this is the very base Fanatic model so is missing a lot of the technologies in the more premium boards. But the benefit is that it's light and will roll up tighter than the better boards. It's also cheap which feels beneficial. I've then saved £450 from the sale of the Red, which i'm going to put to one side and look to pick up an 11' hard board next summer when prices are less stupid.

I do generally agree though. There's something about Jobe i'm just not a fan of. One of those irrational dislikes. Just like i don't like French Connection and would turn down their clothing once i realised even if i really liked the actual item!

Man of Honour
Yeah I've had some jobe bits and they've been fine. I think the fact that they make every kind of watersport under the sun is a bit off putting to me - just not a very sexy brand. On their wakeboards they do things like wood top layer but the core is not wood but it kind of implies it if you don't do your research.

I have a mate with a jobe hard board and he loves it so not knocking them.

Soldato
Yeah, and they seem to be used in a few rental places, so i think they sit in a fairly unique middle ground. I was chatting to a mate and discussing how there's a lot at the cheap end, then a jump up to the premium end, but doesn't seem to be a lot around the £500-£600 range.

Had a delivery from Lomo too. Wanted some Neoprene socks for the winter as last year i stopped paddling between October and April and would like to carry on through this year. I was going to buy some wetsuit stuff, but have decided i'm just going to try running tights/layers and see how i go rather than buying it all upfront without really knowing what i need. I don't expect to fall in, unless i'm trying specific stuff so in theory i should be fine. Also bought some better quality dry bags and some high density foam blocks for when i strap my board on my roof. At the moment i use one of those foam noodles cut up, but with it being round they roll around on the roof which is a bit annoying.

Disappointingly, i went out the other day on the local canal and it was awful. So many weeds just constantly clogging the fin and trying to throw me into the water. Made really slow progress as had to keep backtracking to clear them and my shoulders/back really ached after (not in a good muscle workout way, but a tensing uncomfortable way)

Associate
Wanted some Neoprene socks for the winter as last year i stopped paddling between October and April and would like to carry on through this year. I was going to buy some wetsuit stuff, but have decided i'm just going to try running tights/layers and see how i go rather than buying it all upfront without really knowing what i need. I don't expect to fall in, unless i'm trying specific stuff so in theory i should be fine.

I picked up a vaikobi vcold flex top this year and it's amazingly warm! I'll be picking up the legs when it gets s bit colder, like you I want to keep paddling all through the winter.

Man of Honour
I bought a breathable dry suit last winter. Works really well. Bit of an outlay but should last for years. Have only had one dunk in it and worked as intended but very comfortable for paddling.

Soldato
Finally unpacked my Fanatic after it was delivered on Saturday. I was out on Sunday but took my Gladiator. It was a biggish group social paddle and was a bit slow with a lot of stops for my liking. Took just over 4 hours to cover 7 miles. I'd have liked to do at least 10 in that time!

Must say the quality of it seems decent. The bag especially seems a lot better than what i had with my old Bluefin and now my Gladiator. Great padding and nice pockets for storing fins etc. Paddle seems ok (it's the 15% Pure version) and glad i added it for the small extra cost, but i doubt it'll be removed from it's packaging. Fin is a bit disappointing, but i have a few others i can use.

Hoping to get out to the sea tonight to try it out before Spain.

Man of Honour
Yeah I can't stand paddling with fanniers. There is a club that operates in my area that keeps asking me to join as I power past them while they gabble at each other ;) They seem to be making good money though. They chuck out lessons at £30+ a pop. Well meaning I am sure but the teachers look at best proficient. I know I sound like a biatch.

Nice re the fanatic. Can always replace the fin at somet point. My fanatic is the top finish one and the fin is lovely quality

Soldato
Yeah, it's a shame as i quite like the social aspect, especially on long paddles, but i don't need to be stopping for a rest every 2 miles.

Luckily i met up with a guy a few months back who's of a similar mindset to me, so we've had some good paddles together.

It's the same people meeting up at the beach tonight. I'm tempted to just sack it off and head to the canal. The guys who run it are decent and a good laugh, but some of the others just want to potter around. Especially being on a 14' board, i had to keep stopping and waiting as they seemed amazed i could stand on it. If nothing else it made me feel like a pro!

Soldato
Well that was a potentially expensive trip out!

Met up with the group at the beach. Paddled out to a buoy and then sat and watched the sunset which was pretty special.

The Fanatic handled pretty well and was certainly stable enough for a few step back turns.

The expensive part came from a guy who has a Jobe Parana hard board. First time I’ve had a go on a hard board and I can see why people like them. Took a little getting used to as there’s a lot of rocker on it, but it’s very forgiving when it starts to get on the edge and so much more responsive.

I’d deffo be interested in trying a few more options and looking for something around 11’ for beach purposes!

Associate
Did my first ever sup event Sunday a SUPAthlon at Dintons activity centre, I did the sup and a friend did the run.

There was a mix of people competing. We were in the team event so went of last so had to get past lots of slower paddlers ( which was a challenge at the turns)

We came in 2nd in the teams and had a top 10 over all time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barnesfitness/50337163007/in/album-72157715956381642/

I'm nearest the camera in the black.

It was such a friendly event, I'd highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom