Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Man of Honour
L
Did my first ever sup event Sunday a SUPAthlon at Dintons activity centre, I did the sup and a friend did the run.

There was a mix of people competing. We were in the team event so went of last so had to get past lots of slower paddlers ( which was a challenge at the turns)

We came in 2nd in the teams and had a top 10 over all time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barnesfitness/50337163007/in/album-72157715956381642/

I'm nearest the camera in the black.

It was such a friendly event, I'd highly recommend it!
Looking strong. I'm well up for trying some races next year if I can.

Associate
OP
day 1 of 2 done on my course and my paddling and rescue skills assessed and done!

Had a go today on an open canoe, sit on top kayak and a SUP (which didn't last long!). I'm being assessed on an open canoe and hopefully I finish it all tomorrow!

Associate
OP
day 1 of 2 done on my course and my paddling and rescue skills assessed and done!

Had a go today on an open canoe, sit on top kayak and a SUP (which didn't last long!). I'm being assessed on an open canoe and hopefully I finish it all tomorrow!

I passed! I can now deliver some very basic paddle award from British Canoeing. Seems I've signed up for the Paddlesport Leader award paired with the touring award during October in the lakes. Should be a great 2 days out regardless.

Man of Honour
Same here I'm 46 years young :D

I got a year back recently as for someone reason I thoughts I was 46 for a few hours but then realised I am 45 until december. Bonus.

I passed! I can now deliver some very basic paddle award from British Canoeing. Seems I've signed up for the Paddlesport Leader award paired with the touring award during October in the lakes. Should be a great 2 days out regardless.

Congratz

Soldato
Had a lesson with a guy on Tuesday. Well it was a cave excursion trip along with some technique pointers rather than a “lesson”

he was basically saying I use my arms too much and need to use my core and hips more to extend my reach. It’s all stuff I know but it was helpful to have someone watching and then demonstrating what I do and showing me the areas of my stroke where I need to change.

The actual catch/movement seemed to be good. Just a few points to improve on.

Also got to see inside a few caves which was nice and try out a Fatstick hardboard which was decent.

The guy was called James Van Drunen. He’s only 21 but has a decent chunk of podiums and was sponsored by SIC Maui last year. Interestingly though he’s just sold it to buy himself an NSP Carolina. Said it’s the first board he’s bought in 5 years as he kept being given them by sponsors but feels it suits him a lot more.

Associate
Had a lesson with a guy on Tuesday. Well it was a cave excursion trip along with some technique pointers rather than a “lesson”

he was basically saying I use my arms too much and need to use my core and hips more to extend my reach. It’s all stuff I know but it was helpful to have someone watching and then demonstrating what I do and showing me the areas of my stroke where I need to change.

The actual catch/movement seemed to be good. Just a few points to improve on.

Also got to see inside a few caves which was nice and try out a Fatstick hardboard which was decent.

The guy was called James Van Drunen. He’s only 21 but has a decent chunk of podiums and was sponsored by SIC Maui last year. Interestingly though he’s just sold it to buy himself an NSP Carolina. Said it’s the first board he’s bought in 5 years as he kept being given them by sponsors but feels it suits him a lot more.

Sounds like good advice, i could probably do with attending one of the technique workshops.

Soldato
It was certainly beneficial. My problem is i don't paddle enough at home for it to become "habit". My form is good when i think about it, but it's easy to slip into a casual mindless paddle. Especially on things like canals.

My main issue i had in Spain was my quads, i'd hoped for some long paddles, but the conditions weren't ideal and so keeping balance in high wind/choppy/swell took a lot out of me. With going out most days i didn't get much recovery but decided i'd rather do 2-3 miles a day just get to out regularly. I also went out on a few bike rides and it's very hilly, and i don't ride often so that wiped out my quads too.

Also probably not helped that i was probably drinking around 10-15 units of booze a day. Not enough to be drunk as its spread out, but enough for the body to feel the adverse effects of it the following day. That probably participated in me tiring quickly. I'm looking forward to a detox!

Associate
It was certainly beneficial. My problem is i don't paddle enough at home for it to become "habit". My form is good when i think about it, but it's easy to slip into a casual mindless paddle. Especially on things like canals.

My main issue i had in Spain was my quads, i'd hoped for some long paddles, but the conditions weren't ideal and so keeping balance in high wind/choppy/swell took a lot out of me. With going out most days i didn't get much recovery but decided i'd rather do 2-3 miles a day just get to out regularly. I also went out on a few bike rides and it's very hilly, and i don't ride often so that wiped out my quads too.

Also probably not helped that i was probably drinking around 10-15 units of booze a day. Not enough to be drunk as its spread out, but enough for the body to feel the adverse effects of it the following day. That probably participated in me tiring quickly. I'm looking forward to a detox!

Oddly I don't feel anything in my quads on my training/longer runs (I do bend my legs on every stroke) it's my lower back that really feels it. Maybe I'm reaching too far?

I've entered the ice breaker races at bray lakes, first race next weekend so I'll let you know what aches after a hard 6k :p

Soldato
My quads are usually fine too when I paddle over here. I think it was just because of not being used to the sea and the constant movement in the water. There wasn't a single paddle i didn't have some hefty gusts/moderate swell and so that coupled with running/biking up some hills, combined with lots of booze just all contributed i think.

One thing the guy suggested to me which may be beneficial for you is to turn your hips into the stroke to increase your reach. I rarely got to put it into practice on the sea as i was generally working just to stay upright rather than focus on technique, but i did try it stood at the edge of the pool and just paddling in the water and think it'd be beneficial, maybe that'd help your lower back? The guy did say that in his ~6 years of paddling professionally he's changed his stroke a few times as he started off squatting into each stroke but now mainly keeps his legs straight (slight bend), and his arms fixed and mainly just rotates his core. He did admit he does about 7 hours of specific technique training each week though ontop of his other paddling so i'm certain he focuses a lot more than i do!

One thing i will say is i'm glad i got the Fanatic. I'd mostly convinced myself i didn't need it and my Gladiator 14' board would be fine, but i don't think i'd have been able to paddle anywhere near as much without the wider Fanatic board for stability. I fell in quite a few times as it was!

Do you do any training for races? Whenever i'm on the canal and decide to "go hard" and push it i'm absolutely wiped out after about 30 seconds. I presume you just do intervals and keep working on it to build strength/fitness?

Associate
Do you do any training for races? Whenever i'm on the canal and decide to "go hard" and push it i'm absolutely wiped out after about 30 seconds. I presume you just do intervals and keep working on it to build strength/fitness?

I try and go at a decent pace and keep my technique as good as I can with a clean catch and as little splash as possible, I have done intervals and they do make me blow.

I'm very new to racing so am improving, my first 5k took me 50 mins and I'm down at about 40ish depending on wind. The two guys I paddle with do it in about 35 mins..

Soldato
Now think I might try and try and push a little more often. Id say on average my pace is around 17min/mile.

Was crazy to hear that guy talk about doing 11km/h in races!

Hoping the weeds die over winter as the local canals have been horrific with reduced barge traffic due to covid.

Associate
OP
Got another assessment next weekend, paddlesport leader. Still waiting for the details but, will hopefully get some more qualifications under my belt.

Associate
Now think I might try and try and push a little more often. Id say on average my pace is around 17min/mile.

Was crazy to hear that guy talk about doing 11km/h in races!

Hoping the weeds die over winter as the local canals have been horrific with reduced barge traffic due to covid.

That's not a bad pace! My biggest jump in performance was going to a smaller paddle and upping cadence. I had a 92 sq inch and went to 83. I found the bigger paddle like being stuck in a big gear on a bike, especially paddling into the wind! With the smaller paddle when the wind kicks up I almost crouch to make a smaller profile and paddle shorter fast strokes.

Associate
OP
Got another assessment next weekend, paddlesport leader. Still waiting for the details but, will hopefully get some more qualifications under my belt.

So this weekend I'll be on Windermere for the first time. Very exciting! One of the other guys on assessment is on a SUP so that should be fun!

Hope everyone else is getting some paddles in!

Back
Top Bottom