Pale/Fair skinned people who spend a lot of time in the sun ...

Associate
Does it stain clothing? I put some cream on yesterday and now my best white T-shirt has yellow stains around the neck and arms :eek:. Going to have to get some spray or burn tbh.

Don't think so. Just did 4 hours on the bike with a white jersey on sweating my nuts off and it looks fine. Mind you the pints of sweat pouring out of might have washed it out a bit.

Soldato
Err wear a hat and clothing that covers your most sensitive areas then..

Or get the sun on you enough that you DO go brown and help protect yourself against it natually.

Soldato
umbrella-hat-big.jpg
That would just look silly, this would be far more fetching...

manwithsombreroandburro.jpg

;)

Soldato
If you dont like slathering yourself with SS (I dont) you can get these really really light full-sleeve cotton shirts. You hardly even feel them they are so light. Get light colored ones, white is best. They will keep you cool (the white reflects) and more importantly they keep the sun off ur arms, shoulders etc.

I'm sure I read somewhere that very light or thin fiber shirts aren't great as the suns rays can penetrate the fabric so you can still be getting UV'd even though you aren't directly in sunlight...not sure if that's right or not.

It affects me if I'm out in direct Sun as well...I get a bit queasy, get a headache and have to go in...it's a bit of a pain!

Associate
I have pale/fair skin naturally and more so during the winter months. When we get nice weather and the sun is out I have to be careful too. However, in recent years I have taken some advice from my dad which has worked quite well.

When it starts to get hot and we get nice weather just try and get 10mins of sun a day, eventually you will start to turn brown naturally. Over the last 4-6 weeks I have gradually gone from being totally pale to slightly brown on my upper body and legs. Today for example I went for a half hour walk in the sunshine and didn't need to put anything on, I didn't get burnt. A few years back I would have got fried!

Obviously, if you're going to be out in the sun for a while make sure you cover up/sun cream/get in shade etc.

A little sun is good for you, too much can damage your skin (and make you look old)!

Man of Honour
Other people can damage their skin in order to change its colour to something currently considered more fashionable. I'll protect myself instead. I generally wear lightweight clothing and avoid direct sunlight, because I can't be bothered with sunscreen. I've never tanned to any noticeable extent. I see nothing wrong with a person's natural skin colour, whatever it happens to be.

Soldato
I burn very easily, very quickly even in the weakest sunlight, I don't tan. I've gotten terrible sun burn enough times to know that.

But I've found a strong spray on sun screen that works a treat, lather some on in the morning and I don't worry about it for the rest of the day. I've been out all day every day this past week in the sun and had no problems.

Obviously, when I can I seek the shade. But you should trust the SS more, 10 mins in the morning is all the hassle I ever have day to day.

Associate
Personally I just put loads on before I go out and let it absorb for a good hour so I don't just sweat it all off, but that's more a problem of where I am, I also keep a good supply of after-sun and burn lotions at home, but my arms have turned a lovely tanned colour now, just don't really want to be wandering around in 40+ degree heat out here though.

Soldato
I still don't get how people just sunbath all day anyway. I get hot and frustrated within 15minutes.

But then like when we were in Spain last year - my family sat at pool all day - for nearly 2weeks.
Thing is though if you decide to adventure then it's just boiling aswell and can be worse!!

Associate
As said before, Sun, little and often; I regularly go for walks in my lunchbreak just for half hour or so.

At the weekend I can be out in the sun for a few hours, just with suncream.
I currently use this: http://www.nivea.co.uk/products/show/36666

Make sure whichever suncream you buy has a decent level of UVA protection, the factor number only relates to UVB protection, i.e the rays which give you sunburn, the UVA rays are the ones which age your skin. Most suncreams now have a UVA star rating (maybe on the back of the product packagaing).

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the sensible replies & suggestions from everyone ...

It was alright at the BBQ yesterday as it had plenty of shade, so never had to bother with SS on this occassion, which was good. Just a shame about my hangover this morning though. :p

I burn very easily, very quickly even in the weakest sunlight, I don't tan. I've gotten terrible sun burn enough times to know that.

But I've found a strong spray on sun screen that works a treat, lather some on in the morning and I don't worry about it for the rest of the day. I've been out all day every day this past week in the sun and had no problems.

Obviously, when I can I seek the shade. But you should trust the SS more, 10 mins in the morning is all the hassle I ever have day to day.

Hi, you sound like you burn even quicker than me ! :D ... but I like the fact you say you have been out in the sun a long time this last week with no problems, this is exactly the sort of freedom I'm after, so any chance you can tell us the brand of product & factor you have been using ?

Thanks

Caporegime
Just wear sunscreen - I wouldn't bother too much about brands etc... go to a supermarket or boots - take a look at the bottles buy one that is at least factor 15 and has protection against UVA and UVB.

Just because there is plenty of shade doesn't mean you should avoid using it tbh... I found factor 15 in a spray tends to be less messy/sticky that full on sunblock then just try to stick in the shade in mid day and wear a hat, long sleeves.

Its not that hard to avoid getting burned just limit your exposure to the sun and you won't burn - simples... ;)

Soldato
I didn't burn anywhere where I had applied SPF30 while in Florida (30c+ every day). Sunblock works! I am fair skinned and can burn easily, I don't tan well. I got only a slight tan after 3 weeks there, always wearing the sunblock while out in the sun, 1 application in the morning was enough for the day.

Back
Top Bottom