Parents (and anyone else with an opinion) - MMR: individually or not?

Soldato
Why take the risk? Looking to save money?

Well so were the government. If there was no doubt on MMR then why didn't Blair say whether his children had it?

I don't trust the scientific opinion TBH, or the scorn on those that say it is unsafe - especially given that there is a growing group of parents who believe that MMR does have problems.

For the sake of money and peer pressure, why bother with MMR?

Last edited:
Soldato
cleanbluesky said:

Well so were the government. If there was no doubt on MMR then why didn't Blair say whether his children had it?

I don't trust the scientific opinion TBH, or the scorn on those that say it is unsafe - especially given that there is a growing group of parents who believe that MMR does have problems.

Blair couldn't say white was white, he sits with the fence so far up his backside I'm surprised he can climb off to go on all the lovely foreign jaunts he makes it onto. He's never going to speak out on something like that.

I'd be interested to see how many people would have come forward without all the media hype.

Soldato
mumps is NO fun at all tbh, had it when I was little little, all I remeber about it was being unhappy.

dunno about the other things it protects against

Last edited:
Caporegime
cleanbluesky said:

A fine devil's advocate post.

Associate
vonhelmet said:
A fine devil's advocate post.
I happen to agree.

If I ended up with an authistic child who just happened to have been given the MMR jab I'd be pretty annoyed with myself... even if all the scientists in the world came together and agreed the jab had nothing to do with it, I still would feel responsible for tempting faith.

Caporegime
tenchi-fan said:
I happen to agree.

If I ended up with an authistic child who just happened to have been given the MMR jab I'd be pretty annoyed with myself... even if all the scientists in the world came together and agreed the jab had nothing to do with it, I still would feel responsible for tempting faith.

Odds are it would be a huge coincidence. You can hardly feel guilty for "tempting fate" over a coincidence. That'd be like me feeling bad for getting into a car accident after eating toast for breakfast. The two are almost certainly utterly unrelated.

Honestly, it's amazing the fear that has been instilled in people thanks to media hysteria. Even the lancet has renounced belief in the original study, for goodness' sake!

Soldato
vonhelmet said:
Honestly, it's amazing the fear that has been instilled in people thanks to media hysteria. Even the lancet has renounced belief in the original study, for goodness' sake!

Its strange that your started this paragraph with the word 'honesty' as it is honesty itself that has lead to the persistence of anti-MMR claims. There was a total lack of honesty with regards to MMR and a systematic unwillingness to even examine the concept MMR (a new cheaper alternative to three seperate injections) might have negative side effects.

We have been told the claims were 'rubbish' but was there anything else than a desire from the first minute to support this view. No institution wished to acknowledge any possibility, therefore it is no surprise that the same institutions are still dismissing any possibility of a link and encouraging the masses to believe that they have 'overcome' the 'media hysteria' of the idiotic masses.
Given that many now believe 'popular opinion' is that MMR is Safe, just who is under the influence of media hysteria - those that are open to the possibility that there may be a danger or those that are willing to dismiss any possibility of danger on he basis of the written word of people they have never met and who owe them nothing.

Associate
OP
I appreciate the financial implictions of 1 injection vs 3 injections for the NHS (1 obviously being cheaper incl labour etc).

We also live in a world/country where the media has a strong influence on it's country's general population beliefs (although it rarely is positive and constructive these days sadly) leading to this hysteria and confusion. The govnt imo is weaker at controlling media hype.

I would like to believe we live in a country where choice is available, in this case, MMR or indivdually, but I keep seeing cases that we live in a democratic dictatorship!

Associate
I think it's a difficult decision either way. We spent month researching and asking various opinions. All the time our doctors surgery was trying to book her in to get in done. Ultimately, and especially with our little one being a girl, we decided to give her the MMR. I couldn't find any links whatsoever to autism, and the whole thing appeared to have been created in a media frenzy, started by an apparant independent scientist who turned out to have received funding from drugs companies. Don't forget MMR is used in countless other countries and not just the UK. I'm glad that she isn't relying on herd immunity like many other children. I have no idea how many refused to give their children the MMR (combined or singles) but I can imagine it was a large number which could possibly have repercussions in the future?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:
Its strange that your started this paragraph with the word 'honesty' as it is honesty itself that has lead to the persistence of anti-MMR claims. There was a total lack of honesty with regards to MMR and a systematic unwillingness to even examine the concept MMR (a new cheaper alternative to three seperate injections) might have negative side effects.

We have been told the claims were 'rubbish' but was there anything else than a desire from the first minute to support this view. No institution wished to acknowledge any possibility, therefore it is no surprise that the same institutions are still dismissing any possibility of a link and encouraging the masses to believe that they have 'overcome' the 'media hysteria' of the idiotic masses.
Given that many now believe 'popular opinion' is that MMR is Safe, just who is under the influence of media hysteria - those that are open to the possibility that there may be a danger or those that are willing to dismiss any possibility of danger on he basis of the written word of people they have never met and who owe them nothing.
Sorry, but what?

Soldato
in my opinion, people who don't get their kids the MMR jab are morons. Especially when you see these "Educated mothers" as they are called who have read a few bull**** articles in The Sun talking a load of ******* about the jab.

There is absolutely no link between MMR and Autism, certainly no statistically significant link.

These parents who are allowing these horrible diseases back into our society when science has eradicated them with the MMR jab are complete and utter idiots and I have no time for them!

As you can see I have strong opinions on it...

Associate
Docaroo said:
These parents who are allowing these horrible diseases back into our society when science has eradicated them with the MMR jab are complete and utter idiots and I have no time for them!
Err, you can get individual injections. The complaints are about the three-in-one injection.

Man of Honour
tenchi-fan said:
Err, you can get individual injections. The complaints are about the three-in-one injection.
Ah but people get hysterical about the whole thing and end up deciding "I'm not giving Johhny any of that", ie vaccines in general.

Soldato
Beansprout said:
Ah but people get hysterical about the whole thing and end up deciding "I'm not giving Johhny any of that", ie vaccines in general.
totaly
was behind a woman in the supermarket who was saying how she wasn't going to let her kids be vaccinated because it would just make them autistic and the deseses they protect against arn't that bad realy...
what a plank, going blind? or def? or dead? "not that bad?"

Soldato
tenchi-fan said:
Hmm, I didn't think people could be that stupid.
don't forget, the IQ of the masses is worked out thus

take the lowest IQ of the group and divide by the number of people in the group.

imagine that with all the readers of the sun who don't think about things

Back
Top Bottom