Parents - changes coming to government childcare contributions

Soldato
It depends on their ofcom rating, but it can be anywhere between £4 to £6 for good and outstanding nurseries. Funded hours are crippling for nurseries.

Standard daily rate (8-5.30) around here is £35-40.

That works out at ~£3.80-£4.20/hour. If the nursery is getting paid £4-6/hour then that's hardly "crippling"!

Unless you mean £4-6 for the whole 15 hours in which case yeah that's a bit of a joke

Soldato
Damn I thought my £48 per day was bad. 5 days a week though so seriously feeling it. Argument with the misses over money only yesterday. Every week feels like an infinite loop currently.

Soldato
I can't totally see why some people don't work if they need 5 days childcare, it's more than the cost of minimum wage:eek:.

The highest invoice I handed out for one months childcare was £2,126....I winced just handing it over.....she had 3 children in full time.

And that was a few years ago when the fees were around £35 a day....to cover NLW when it gets to around £9/Hr the fees are going to be around £55 a day.

I set the budgets and i'll admit, the cost of childcare is already insane in this country....and it's only going to get worse.

Soldato
If it's as bad for the poor oppressed childcare organisations as Syla5 suggests, why do any offer the funding mechanism at all?

Surely all these awfully hard done by childcare providers would collude to opt out of the funding scheme and carry on depriving their customers of subsidies, letting the market sort the rest out?

The answer is that some are charging too much, and they don't like being called out on it. Besides which, there are loads of ways round it (as Syla5 explains) for those that can be bothered, though Syla5 also paints them as an awfully lazy lot...

Firstly many don't offer funding.

Secondly child care providers aren't unionised and any form of collective opting out is not going to work as it cannot be controlled.

Thirdly what would you assume to be to much for the cost of caring for your child? Bare in mind that all ousted registered providers have to offer a minimum standard of care, with learning, and education provided to a standard that is inspected at the same level as schools, in settings that are up to high standards of safety.

If you think £5-£6 for this is to much and overcharge go and think about what your £5-£6 buys you in the world today and realise that good childcare should be double that cost! Lest we forget that food for the children isn't free either.

Sadly the scheme is terrible because of the use of the word "free". If the hours were funded, child care providers wouldn't have to faff about with any activity charges or lunch and snack fees.

Early years child care coverage is on the decline due to the ever increasing demands put on the providers and the limited capacity they have to spend time caring for children while doing everything else in terms of observations, learning, care, billing, customer relations, etc. A career that is becoming quite thankless given people's expectations vs reality.

Soldato
Firstly many don't offer funding.

Secondly child care providers aren't unionised and any form of collective opting out is not going to work as it cannot be controlled.

Thirdly what would you assume to be to much for the cost of caring for your child? Bare in mind that all ousted registered providers have to offer a minimum standard of care, with learning, and education provided to a standard that is inspected at the same level as schools, in settings that are up to high standards of safety.

If you think £5-£6 for this is to much and overcharge go and think about what your £5-£6 buys you in the world today and realise that good childcare should be double that cost! Lest we forget that food for the children isn't free either.

Sadly the scheme is terrible because of the use of the word "free". If the hours were funded, child care providers wouldn't have to faff about with any activity charges or lunch and snack fees.

Early years child care coverage is on the decline due to the ever increasing demands put on the providers and the limited capacity they have to spend time caring for children while doing everything else in terms of observations, learning, care, billing, customer relations, etc. A career that is becoming quite thankless given people's expectations vs reality.
In case anyone didnt realise i meant can not can't earlier. IIRC at the nursery up till 2 nappies are also included which can be quite a few in a day and as mentioned food quite a few times a day ( i think they provide 3 meals and desserts with a snack inbetween each meal). but that £6 is per hour not for a whole day. I'm not sure if NLW is compulsory or not? If it is i can see lots of small businesses struggling.

Don
I can't totally see why some people don't work if they need 5 days childcare, it's more than the cost of minimum wage:eek:.

Around here, if you earn less than £20k per year there is no point in going to work if you have one child. If you have two then that goes up to £40k. The 30 hours free is the difference between it being worth working, and not.
However, it's people's choice to have them. It's not mandatory to have children.
Then again, we have an aging population. With many families only having one child or none, we are going to get to a point in 50 years time where there aren't enough people to pay taxes to support the elderly.

Soldato

I thought I had it bad being at the back end of May, feel sorry for anyone relying on this who's child was born in early April. They could have at least made an even spread in the months..

So if your child was born on the 31st December you'd be eligible to get it the very next day following their third birthday, born start of April and you're waiting 5 months. How on earth is that fair.

Edit. link https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/free-childcare-and-education-for-2-to-4-year-olds

Last edited:
Soldato
Also be aware, for the 30 Hrs free you need to apply online at the HMRC to get your 11 digit code.

You will need a Govt Gateway Account for this, which can take a while to set up - so apply early, because if you don't have your code by the start of the eligible term, you will have to wait until the next term before you will get the extra 15 hrs.

You then have to reconfirm your details for eligibility every 3 months, else the extra 15 hours will lapse.

Soldato
Also be aware, for the 30 Hrs free you need to apply online at the HMRC to get your 11 digit code.

You will need a Govt Gateway Account for this, which can take a while to set up - so apply early, because if you don't have your code by the start of the eligible term, you will have to wait until the next term before you will get the extra 15 hrs.

You then have to reconfirm your details for eligibility every 3 months, else the extra 15 hours will lapse.

I hadn't read that anywhere. Do you have a source or a link?

Back
Top Bottom