1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parted magic + black screen

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by BenJ, 17 Oct 2014.

1. BenJ

Hitman

I've put the ISO on a usb, I boot from it and it loads a screen with some options on a GNU Grub screen.

I've tried a few of them and they just seem to result in a black/blank screen

Am I doing something wrong?

2. APM

Wise Guy

Works fine for me off a CD

3. OhEsEcks

PermaBanned

What are you using to create the bootable USB? My copy is burnt to CD, since it loads everything into RAM anyway.

4. wazza300

Caporegime

use rufus to create bootable usb stick,should work fine

5. BenJ

Hitman

Used rufus to make the usb. I got into it using the graphical option (can't remmeber the exact wording). Told me the drive was froze.

Tried unplugging the ssd and going into erase again, didn't recognise the drive because it wasn't plugged in at boot I'm guessing

Plugged the ssd back in and booted again, borked my bios somehow, got an "ab" code and had to reset the cmos.

All back up and running and now the graphical option also just gives me a black/blank screen.

Seems very odd that I've got into parted magic a few times and now I can't at all. Is there any bios settings that could be impacting?

6. wazza300

Caporegime

You enter sleep mode from within parted magic,this unfreezes the ssd and let's you secure erase it,Idk why it keeps black screening,it doesn't for me n I'm using a gigabyte z77 board but I boot from cd disc

7. BenJ

Hitman

Ye I clicked the option to sleep within parted magic. It wouldn't wake back up, or it probably did but blank screened again.

I don't have a cd I don't think to try.

I wonder if i have a dodgy ISO, where did you guys download it?

8. BenJ

Hitman

Ok, downloaded the parted magic ISO called "pmagic_2014_09_29", worked first time.

How annoying, I spent a good few hours yesterday trying to get "pmagic_2013_08_01" to work. Not to mention the CMOS reset which resulted in me having to try remember all my previous bios settings for my overclock and re testing stability.

Lesson learnt, it's a 5 min job when you have an iso that works properly :)