1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partitions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Densityy, 2 Jun 2010.

1. Densityy

Associate

Can anyone explain to me how i can partition my seccond harddrive to allow the installation of an windows operating system on it. When i create a partition on it, it says Dynamic and you can't install windows on it so i'm looking on how to install a primary partition with system, boot, page files etc..

2. b-star

Wise Guy

Hi,...

to make a partition you have to (VISTA):

START--> find MY COMPUTER and right click on MY COMPUTER Icon (menu will appear)---> click on MANAGE --> you will see STORAGE and click on DISK MANAGEMENT!

there you will see all your HDD's ... RIGHT click on HDD which you want to do a partition (menu will appear) --> and click on SHRINK VOLUME!

wait till PC checks how many GB available for partition!

then in "ENTER AMOUNT OF SPACE TO SHRINK IN MB" put as many MB you want for partition! you'll see how many available above in same window!

1000MB = 1GB
    10 0000MB = 10GB

Then click on SHRINK!

then you will see that you HDD now has UN ALLOCATED HDD --.right click and NEW SIMPLE VOLUME!

follow instruction on screen and that's it!

Thanks

3. Densityy

Associate

When i make a simple volume it makes it a Logical something.. then on my other HDD it makes a Dynamic one..

4. mame

Sgarrista

Are you in a position to format the drive? if so it's pretty simple to do using the Windows installer. I can't give you step by step but you can't go wrong. You just format then create volume or something similar.

5. Densityy

Associate

Yeah thats what i thought the options arn't clickable... thats what i'm confused about

6. wilko49

Hitman

download an ubuntu live disc, use gparted to set up the partitions - search around on some linux forums for how to set up the bootloader. you will need a small (~1GB) boot partition, and then one for each windows install

7. JonJ678

Capodecina

I can't work out what Densityy or wilko is talking about.

Could the OP please describe the current partitioning layout, and the desired layout? We'll then tell you how to get from one to the other.

Could wilko please tell me why a 1gb boot partition is of any use here? A boot partition for linux just needs enough space for a couple of kernels, 500mb is generally overkill, yet the OP is clearly using windows. As far as I know windows never uses a boot partition, it certainly doesn't need one for a multiple boot system.

gparted probably is the tool you want. A bit more intuitive for a m$ user to get the iso which only has gparted on it, rather than hunting around ubuntu's menus looking for "partition editor". gparted should be available directly here, though you may need to follow the links along from here.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2010
  8. wilko49

Hitman

jon, how would you select which windows installation to boot without a bootloader?

9. JonJ678

Capodecina

I'd use the windows bootloader, which doesn't need or want its own partition. No problems with multiboot systems using this, as long as they're all microsoft windows.

Even when using grub it chainloads the windows bootloader rather than dealing with matters itself. I can see sense to setting up a partition which only has grub and a copy of the mbr on it, and letting each version of windows have its own bootloader, but it's overkill unless you're using loads of different operating systems and are already very familiar with grub.

10. Densityy

Associate

Right you've both just completely lost me!

Tomorrow i'll take the harddrive out of the computer, put it into mine and then FORMAT it. i will then put it back into the computer and install it? is that correct?

11. wilko49

Hitman

Densityy, yes that should work, but I am still surprised that you cannot do it from within setup... and thanks Jon, you learn something new every day, i guess.